Advanced Search | Customer Care | NCIXUS Forums |
Newsletters | Contact Us | Your Account | VIEW CART  
 Welcome 
 Hot Deals 
 NCIX PC 
 Forums 
  CANADA |  USA
Hot Topics  |  Latest Postings  |  View Unreplied  |  Forum Bookmarks
 LATEST TOPICS |  FORUMS » GENERAL DISCUSSIONS » SAMSUNG GALAXY S3 I9300 VS I535...
Subject: Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300 Vs I535
Share this:  
Author Date Posted Tools
DrAcX Jun 05, 2012 09:42 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Been on the lookout for a new phone and the Galaxy S3 has my interest. Appears there are 2 versions, the I9300 (international) and I535 (NA).

Major difference I see is the I9300 has an Exynos 1.4Ghz quad core with 1GB RAM, and the I535 has a Qualcomm Snapdragon 1.5Ghz dual core with 2GB RAM.

Can someone more savvy in phones enlighten me as to why there are these 2 versions of the S3? Did the NA version require different H/W to compensate for other features?

Other random questions:
- Looks like there is the different band support for 2G/3G/4G. Does this make a difference?
- Are there things the I9300 can do that the I535 cannot do and vice versa?
- Which would you go for and why?

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_i9300_galaxy_s_iii-4238.php
http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s_iii_i535-4799.php

Topic URL: http://forums.ncix.com/forums/topic.php?id=2517245

Tip Posting | My Postings () | My Reviews () | View Source
Dot Merix Jun 05, 2012 09:54 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

In NA carriers are pushing LTE capabilities and my understanding is the Quad Core chip in the international version does not support LTE, hence NA phones using the dual core Qualcomm chip which supports it.

It's really a toss up depending on what you want. The Qualcomm chip is no slouch and very fast, you get extra ram + LTE support if you want it as well.

This message was modified by the poster at 06 05, 2012 09:55 PM

Lance W Jun 05, 2012 10:32 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

The I535 is not really the NA version, it is Verizon's version (that's why it has a CDMA/EV-DO radio).

The one you get from the Big 3 in Canada and AT&T in the US supports the same frequencies as the International version, except it has LTE (700/1700 MHz).

This message was modified by the poster at 06 05, 2012 10:34 PM

DrAcX Jun 06, 2012 11:08 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Ah ok, I guess this is a better comparison chart:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samsung_Galaxy_S_III#Model_comparison_table

Hmm, so you need 2 versions of the S3 to switch between Bell/Rogers/Telus and Wind/Mobilicity/TMobile due to the different band support from these carriers... that sure makes things complicated.

werth Jun 06, 2012 11:24 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Quote: (DrAcX @ Jun 06 2012, 11:08 AM)

Hmm, so you need 2 versions of the S3 to switch between Bell/Rogers/Telus and Wind/Mobilicity/TMobile due to the different band support from these carriers... that sure makes things complicated.
that's pretty standard. with the exception of a select  few, they have one or the other (with phones like the galaxy nexus supporting both frequencies)

Insomune Jun 06, 2012 12:18 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Yeah I have the Samsung Galaxy Nexus and it's not that great. Hoping to get an upgrade too, so I've been following this thread.

The issues I found with the Nexus that hopefully that S3 has fixed is;

Nexus reboots randomly. Sometimes once every 48 hours, sometimes 4x a day... For no reason, just random reboots with lots of people having this issue.

Battery life is pretty weak. Even with all the standard features turned off and half brightness it doesn't last as well as the iPhone 4 (which I switched from to get this b/c we use all PC's at work and I'm a Mac hater).

ICS 4.0 is not as stable as I thought it'd be. That or Samsungs UI and intergration with ICS 4.0 is not great because I have random issues from losing my on-screen keyboard to when hitting my text icon it brings up my media player and other oddities.

Nonetheless, I'm interested to see the pricepoint of these new S3 babies and what kind of deal I can swindle with Fido.

Shane C - Systm Jun 06, 2012 12:28 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Wait, so looking at the comparison chart, none of the models have the advertised quad core Nvidia Tegra processor?

Todd™ Jun 06, 2012 01:05 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Quads are not compatible with LTE and won't be until they redesign the LTE hardware.

Lance W Jun 06, 2012 01:10 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Quote: (Shane C - Systm @ Jun 06 2012, 12:28 PM)

Wait, so looking at the comparison chart, none of the models have the advertised quad core Nvidia Tegra processor?

Maybe you're thinking of the HTC One X? The S3 has never been been advertised using Tegra as Samsung has their own quad core Exynos chip.

Shane C - Systm Jun 06, 2012 01:11 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Oh... you're right, I was thinking of the HTC One X.

Is LTE coverage that good in the Vancouver area? Is it even worth getting LTE phones yet?

tvvistedcamo Jun 06, 2012 01:35 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

I have the Galaxy S2 Skyrocket (LTE) and the coverage is great for LTE. Super fast, going back to 3G (or whatever the marketing team calls it these days), 3G+, or "4G", or whatever is a huge drag. My phones LTE connection is faster than my Shaw High Speed at home so tethering with it is great.

DrAcX Jun 06, 2012 02:50 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Quote: (werth @ Jun 06 2012, 11:24 AM)

that's pretty standard. with the exception of a select  few, they have one or the other (with phones like the galaxy nexus supporting both frequencies)

I'm currently with Rogers with 1 yr left on contract and would like to switch to Wind or Mobo once it ends, but would also like to get an S3 right now (upgrading from iphone 3g, and buying w/o contract). So does this mean that I can't get an S3 that works with Rogers for my remaining 1 yr, then transfer this phone to use with Wind?

Contentname:Forums_Bottom
Call Queue
Now Serving
Avg. Response Time
Estimate: 33 mins
Request Call Back
(Web Orders Only)

Recent Experts
1. Greg * NCIX.com (27745)
All Time Experts
1. Mr. Friendly™ (51387)
2. The Wizard (39824)
3. death_hawk™ (35144)
4. Not An Expert (26343)
5. Lance W (25246)

Featured Brands:
Shop by brands
Your Order Company Info Memberships Services Hotlinks
Customer Care
Order Status
About NCIX
Contact Us
Careers
Terms & Conditions
Privacy Policy
NCIX Rewards
Premier Partner Reseller
NCIX Gift Cards
Online Price Match
Black Friday Sale
NCIX Newsletters
Facebook
YouTube
Twitter
Forums
International Sites: United States Canada
Copyright© 2014 NCIXUS.com/NCIXUS Technology Inc. All rights reserved.