Advanced Search | Customer Care | NCIXUS Forums |
Newsletters | Contact Us | Your Account | VIEW CART  
 Welcome 
 Hot Deals 
 NCIX PC 
 Forums 
  CANADA |  USA
Hot Topics  |  Latest Postings  |  View Unreplied  |  Forum Bookmarks
 LATEST TOPICS |  FORUMS » NCIX TECH TIPS » PC PROBLEM >> WON'T BOOT, CPU FAN RU...
Subject: PC Problem >> Won't Boot, CPU Fan Runs, Black Screen
Share this:  
Author Date Posted Tools
I C Jul 30, 2011 11:48 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

I have a ~5 year old HP desktop (a1747c) that won't boot when I press the power button. The screen would stay black (monitor says no signal) and the two cpu fans would just run (at full blast).

So, here's a description of the problem. After I downloaded IE9 (~2 months ago), I would sometimes get a random white screen (the whole screen would turn white, with some random colored spots). This would force me to do a forced power-down (hold down power button for >5 secs to turn off computer), then start up the computer again (via power button).

At first, I thought it was a graphics card drivers problem, but I checked and they were up-to-date. Then I searched online and there was some mention about IE9 compatibility with some graphics cards. I didn't think much about it because it only happened twice and was easily remedied by the forced power-down.

Anyways, fast forward to last week, same thing happened. I did a hard-reset, but when I press the power button again, I would get a black screen (i.e. computer won't post) and the cpu fan would just run. I've tried the following, but to no avail:
- Cleaned interior of all dust
- Checked capacitors on motherboard and no bulging
- Reset motherboard bios by jumper & battery method
- Tried a complete drain (by doing a forced power-down, pulled power cable, hold down the power button for 30 sec, then replug power cable)
- Pulled out all RAM and cleaned contacts with a eraser (oddly, when I tried to boot computer without any RAM, I would not get beeps)
- Tested booting with individual RAM (I have 4 x 1gb)
- Pulled out PCIe cards (TV tuner & modem), but computer still would not start
- Unplugged and replugged cables coming off the motherboard
- I would also think its not a PSU problem because the two CPU fans run at full speed.

Actually, this problem (black screen, cpu fan runs, won't boot) happened once before ~4 months ago (before IE9 download). But the problem was fixed by clearing the inside of dust.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Topic URL: http://forums.ncix.com/forums/topic.php?id=2388415

Tip Posting | My Postings () | My Reviews () | View Source
hung_h Jul 30, 2011 11:57 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like (2) | Top | Bottom

Sometimes computers break for whatever reason. You seem to know a lot about them.

Its probably fried. I'm not sure if fixing a 5 year old HP would even be economically feasible.

Your power supply probably broke and since its HP, its some sort of proprietary design so its not worth to get a new one.

Heck, get a new computer from NCIX. the prices are really good here over the "big box stores" that you likely got that HP from. Like windows 7 is 95 bucks here while its like 190 at the other stores (if you price match)

Spork™ Jul 30, 2011 12:00 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like (1) | Top | Bottom

IMO, I would forgo any repairs on this system and buy a new one. repairing an old system like that, even an HP can be a problem and just annoying.

But if you cant afford to get new updated one, then what you can try is test the GPU, ram in another system. use a different PSU in the HP system.

The Mobo might be going and dying... maybe the PSU is just giving out too, as there not meant to last very well. (If it is the original one from HP). Even if the fans are spinning, it can still fail.

IE9 = Bad
Firefox = Good

NArkshaRK Jul 30, 2011 12:11 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like (2) | Top | Bottom

Get a new 3V lithium motherboard battery.

I_C Jul 30, 2011 12:39 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like (2) | Top | Bottom

Thanks for the comments.

Actually, I've already tried:
- Changing 3V battery
- Testing HD & RAM in another computer
But, I just forgot to mention it.

I do use Firefox, but its always good to have all the latest browsers installed on the computer.

As for the PSU suggestion, I don't have a spare one on hand, so can't swap it out. So, I guess that narrows it down to either dead motherboard or dead PSU?

Are there any other suggestions? TIA.

sandorski55 Jul 30, 2011 09:59 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like (1) | Top | Bottom

Have you checked to see that the Cable to your Monitor is plugged in properly on both ends?

Cal920c Aug 06, 2011 10:30 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like (2) | Top | Bottom

well... thats the kind of bull s#!t you can expect from HP, my old dimension 4400 ran for 8.5 years, the darn thing still ran, just too slow, i decided to retire it.

Kolby_G Aug 06, 2011 04:29 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like (1) | Top | Bottom

Quote: (I C @ Jul 30 2011, 11:48 AM)

(oddly, when I tried to boot computer without any RAM, I would not get beeps)

That to me indicates the mobo or psu or cpu

Hare you tries shorting out the psu by jumping the green and black wires on the 24 pin connector? might want to make sure HP hasn't colored the wires differently though.

Quote: (I C @ Jul 30 2011, 11:48 AM)

modem

I_C Aug 12, 2011 11:50 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like (2) | Top | Bottom

Quote: (sandorski55 m Jul 30, 2011 09:59 PM)

Have you checked to see that the Cable to your Monitor is plugged in properly on both ends?

Yes, the monitor cable is plugged in properly on both ends. The monitor also functions properly with another PC.

Quote: (Kolby_G m Aug 06, 2011 04:29 PM)

That to me indicates the mobo or psu or cpu

Hare you tries shorting out the psu by jumping the green and black wires on the 24 pin connector? might want to make sure HP hasn't colored the wires differently though.

Haven't tried shorting the PSU, but I got a PSU from another comp and tried booting with that. And the problem still exists.

So, I guess that leaves either motherboard or integrated graphics?

I would guess changing the motherboard would be the simplest solution? Or is there another solution (as spending >$50 on a new motherboard might not even fix the problem; also AM2+ motherboards are quite rare these days [in fact NCIX only has 2: http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?minorcatid=107&subminorcatid=134])?

You also mentioned a possibility of being the CPU. How would I test that? Do I just remove CPU fan and see if the processor heats up within 3 seconds then immediately shut down to prevent overheating? Or is there another method?

Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Quote: (Kolby_G m Aug 06, 2011 04:29 PM)

:blink:   :blink:   

Well the modem is part of the original HP build. I haven't used it even once.

This message was modified by the poster at 08 13, 2011 12:41 AM

Contentname:Forums_Bottom
Call Queue
Now Serving
Avg. Response Time
Estimate: 33 mins
Request Call Back
(Web Orders Only)

Recent Experts
1. Greg * NCIX.com (27745)
All Time Experts
1. Mr. Friendly™ (51387)
2. The Wizard (39824)
3. death_hawk™ (35144)
4. Not An Expert (26343)
5. Lance W (25246)

Featured Brands:
Shop by brands
Your Order Company Info Memberships Services Hotlinks
Customer Care
Order Status
About NCIX
Contact Us
Careers
Terms & Conditions
Privacy Policy
NCIX Rewards
Premier Partner Reseller
NCIX Gift Cards
Online Price Match
Black Friday Sale
NCIX Newsletters
Facebook
YouTube
Twitter
Forums
International Sites: United States Canada
Copyright© 2014 NCIXUS.com/NCIXUS Technology Inc. All rights reserved.