Welcome 
 Hot Deals 
 NCIX PC 
 Forums 
  CANADA |  USA
Hot Topics  |  Latest Postings  |  View Unreplied  |  Forum Bookmarks
Search
Hot Searches:

LATEST TOPICS |  FORUMS » NCIX GAMING COMMUNITY » GAMING MONITOR! NEED HELP :)...
Subject: Gaming Monitor! Need help :)
Share this:  
Author Date Posted Tools
Kakarot Oct 03, 2017 06:01 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like (1) | Top | Bottom

Hello,

I have another thread about building a gaming rig, but as I patiently await the new intel chips and motherboards.... I cannot decide on a monitor. Ryan went over all the various types and what not... so I was doing A LOT of reading. Howver, I cannot find my sweet spot. I will have a coffee lake processor and a gtx 1080ti if this helps.

I am no pro gamer but any advantage is a bonus. I would not go for a TN panel just on the basis I will get a stupid ammount of fps. I do want it to look great, while playing great. I was leaning towards a 1440 144hz 27" monitor.... mainly the asus gaming one. However, my main concern is... fps (lol). My current game will be playerunknownbattleunderground. So, as current as my machine wil be... I do not want to be struggling to hit a solid/consistent 60fps on ultra settings.... I also do not love the price of the monitor, but I also realize it will last many years....

So with all of that being said, do I really need a 27" being that close? It sounds and looks sexy!

Most of my reading suggests IPS, I will only really be gaming... nothing else. I noticed that asus also had a tn panel that was 240hz!

So I know it comes down to preference, cost etc... but please, based on my requirements... let me know what you have and recommend!! Thanks

Topic URL: http://forums.ncix.com/forums/topic.php?id=2761410

Tip Posting | My Postings () | My Reviews () | View Source
Saberon Oct 03, 2017 06:18 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like (1) | Top | Bottom

I've been out of the monitor loop for a bit, so I won't recommend a particular model but I will say this...

Yes, yes you absolutely need and want a 27". I got one in 2013 and while it was overwhelming at first, I can't imagine using anything smaller. 1440P 27" was the best upgrade I've ever bought.

Personally I have not played with a monitor with an above 60hz refresh rate, so I can't comment. But all I know is that I can't ever use a TN panel ever again in my life, the difference between IPS and TN is shocking.

Kakarot Oct 03, 2017 07:20 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Thanks, this is what I learned as well... So now that it's narrowed down, I need models and recommendations! As I don't mind going top dollar.... but I'll be open to a best bang for buck

jakeElwood Oct 03, 2017 09:18 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like (1) | Top | Bottom

Hey Kakarot,

That Asus pg258q does look nice......for a TN. 0 brightness is 126ccd??! The thing is borderline too bright at 0 setting. Luckily it is not more than 126ccd, not a complete deal breaker.

Reviews show it has really bad gamma tracking though. I think Tom's is being a bit too forgiving about the gamma results. It would look pretty bad.

There are only a few 27" IPS 144hz monitors to consider. There are a couple 34" ultra-wides but they really cost a lot and crush fps a bit too much. Screen uniformity is usually quite bad on them also among other large issues(input lag, etc...)

I chose the pg279q because it remembers all your individual settings (brightness etc) so you dont have to monkey the brightness from 18 to 100 to 18 every time you load a game or back to desktop which you need to on the other screens.(they dont tell you that in the brochure)

It has the brightest screen for 120hz ULMB. The Acer and Viewsonic can really only do 100hz ULMB because the brightness drops too low. Asus does 120hz with excellent modulation settings before it gets dark.

Otherwise the Asus, Acer, Viewsonic are quite similar. Same panels. The AOC version has a few larger issues.

Then there are the Korean models, but i dont recommend them for you. Unless you are feeling real lucky.

You wont have to worry too much about fps on a 2560x1440 with a gtx1080ti. The better IQ is worth a few less fps. Only some bad console port will crush the fps, and its going to crush on a 1920x1080 also.

Lag is 4ms which feels the same as any TN that measures faster. under 9ms is twitch gaming territory. Under 5ms it all feels the same. Beyond that point you need the perfectness of a CRT to notice the next level.

If you live in the lower-mainland, dont go spend 1200$ yet. Mine is hardware calibrated and more than 2yrs warranty remaining. Havnt decided if i would even sell it but its worth considering. Wont be used for almost a year.

Kakarot Oct 03, 2017 10:57 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like (1) | Top | Bottom

I'm in Winnipeg!

PricklyPete Oct 03, 2017 09:00 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

I went with this Acer and have no regrets.

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/CA/content/predator-model/UM.HX1AA.001

jakeElwood Oct 04, 2017 02:00 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like (1) | Top | Bottom

Quote: (Kakarot @ Oct 03 2017, 10:57 AM)

I'm in Winnipeg!

I was born in Winnipeg!

Not sure if that helps you get a great monitor though haha.

troop c Oct 08, 2017 12:25 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like (1) | Top | Bottom

A good monitor for any game in general and has the specs that you are looking for is the Asus monitors

troop c Oct 08, 2017 12:26 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

gaming monitors https://pc4u.org/cheap-gaming-monitor/

Kakarot Oct 08, 2017 01:16 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like (1) | Top | Bottom

I went with PricklyPetes Acer. Thanks all

Call Queue
Now Serving
Closed
Avg. Response Time
Closed
Request Call Back
(Web Orders Only)

All Time Experts
1. Mr. Friendly™ (51387)
2. The Wizard (39824)
3. death_hawk™ (35144)
4. Not An Expert (26343)
5. Lance W (25246)

Featured Brands:
Shop by brands
Your Order Company Info Memberships Services Hotlinks
Customer Care
Order Status
About NCIX
Contact Us
Careers
Terms & Conditions
Branding & Logos
Privacy Policy
NCIX Rewards
Premier Partner Reseller
Affiliate Program
NCIX Gift Cards
Online Price Match
NCIX Newsletters
Facebook
YouTube
Twitter
Forums
International Sites: United States Canada
Copyright© 2015 - NCIXUS.com/NCIXUS Technology Inc. All rights reserved.