Welcome 
 Hot Deals 
 NCIX PC 
 Forums 
  CANADA |  USA
Hot Topics  |  Latest Postings  |  View Unreplied  |  Forum Bookmarks
Search
Hot Searches:

LATEST TOPICS |  FORUMS » VIDEO CARDS » WHAT'S THE STORY ON RADEON RX 570/58...
Subject: RE: What's the story on Radeon RX 570/580s ?
Share this:  
PREV   |   NEXT   1 2  
Author Date Posted Tools
Garnet_A Apr 19, 2017 03:11 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

The RX580 provides an upgrade option that the 1060 can't.....Crossfire support! It's not for everyone, but it's available if you want to add the second card down the road. It's rather disappointing that nVidia chose not to equip the 1060 with SLi support.

Tip Posting | My Postings () | My Reviews () | View Source
Poison Ivy Apr 19, 2017 03:44 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Quote: (Garnet_A @ Apr 19 2017, 03:11 PM)

Garnet_A said:
The RX580 provides an upgrade option that the 1060 can't.....Crossfire support! It's not for everyone, but it's available if you want to add the second card down the road. It's rather disappointing that nVidia chose not to equip the 1060 with SLi support.

Wow, I didn't know that. NVIDIA is sure going the nickle and dime route these days.

Jack_L2 Apr 19, 2017 03:57 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Notree:
Ok let me break it down for you. Historically, Nvidia had the disadvantage of being more expensive, so people sacrificed power consumption, extra heat generated, and driver support, etc and got the cheaper AMD.

But now that they are very similarly priced, well... why would you get an overheated card, with worse driver support and more power consumption if both are priced the same?

If you tell me, well I really need it for purely Doom or BF1, sure I understand why you get the 580. But in most other cases, that does not apply.

And unless you have something older than a 290x (maybe a Radeon HD 7850), then you really should not be upgrading to either the 1060 nor the 580.

Jack_L2 Apr 19, 2017 04:01 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

LOL. entire point of a 580 is that it is budget friendly, so you sacrificing performance for better price.. Getting a 580 in CF is a completely contradictory thought because you just "doubled-down" your expense. You are MUCH better off getting a Vega at that point.

This message was modified by the poster at 04 19, 2017 04:01 PM

This message was modified by the poster at 04 19, 2017 04:35 PM

This message was modified by the poster at 04 19, 2017 04:36 PM

Notree Apr 19, 2017 06:10 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Quote: (Jack_L2 @ Apr 19 2017, 03:57 PM)

Ok let me break it down for you. Historically, Nvidia had the disadvantage of being more expensive, so people sacrificed power consumption, extra heat generated, and driver support, etc and got the cheaper AMD.

But now that they are very similarly priced, well... why would you get an overheated card, with worse driver support and more power consumption if both are priced the same?

If you tell me, well I really need it for purely Doom or BF1, sure I understand why you get the 580. But in most other cases, that does not apply.

And unless you have something older than a 290x (maybe a Radeon HD 7850), then you really should not be upgrading to either the 1060 nor the 580.

You don't have to break anything down for me. I've been buying gpu's since my first ATI 9500 was given too me. Lets not forget NVIDIA's GTX 480. or the drivers that were bricking cards. How about more recently the EVGA cards vrms overheating. It hasn't always been greener on the other side like you make it seem.

How is it "overheated"? Please do tell how the driver support is worse also? AMD have been putting out regular driver updates for years now. .Lets talk Power consumption. On avg around 50-60w more .I don't think that's going to break anyone's bank gaming a few hours a day. But hey if your worried about power consumption NVIDIA would be your only choice. We can all agree AMD have to work on their power consumption.

"But in most other cases, that does not apply." More blanket statements. It all depends on what games you play . Everything you say just leads me to believe you're a NVIDIA fanboy.
And of course you'd throw crossfire out as a good feature.

Jack_L2 Apr 19, 2017 06:32 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

lol like I said, I always ONLY had AMD cards for the last 8+ years dating all the way back to ATI (All in Wonder and Rage series) before AMD even bought them. I sold my 290x not long ago.

I just dont support AMD OCing a card 4 or 5 times in the past 4 years and selling it like its a "brand new" card.. I dont care about power consumption, I care about heat generation in my case... but we know that higher power consumption means more heat.

CF or SLI are always good options, but I personally think doing so on lower end cards (the 580 or 1060) is purely counter-intuitive. At $600 for 2x580s, might as well go Vega!

I go by what technology makes sense to me, and right now, I think Nvidia nailed it in terms of performance to price ratio with the 1080 and even 1080 ti. Vega is too late and does not have the biggest advantage that it always had: competitive pricing! So all things considered, what is exactly the advantage of AMD GPUs today??

This message was modified by the poster at 04 19, 2017 06:34 PM

Poison Ivy Apr 19, 2017 07:15 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Every time I read one of you guys arguments I change my mind. I already have trouble make decisions about this stuff, thanks a lot.

Coach_ Apr 19, 2017 07:23 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Delete Image. Please use this feature thoughtfully.  Report this image 

Dat power consumption though... (courtesy PCPER https://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/Radeon-RX-580-8GB-Review-Polaris-Populism/Detailed-Power-Consumption-Testing )

I would like to think that I am no fanboi, personally the 1060 makes more sense to me than the 580 at the same price.

EDIT for spelling

This message was modified by the poster at 04 19, 2017 07:26 PM

Poison Ivy Apr 19, 2017 08:40 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

People keep saying how amazing Freesync is though, and I am buying a new monitor as well. So wouldn't that make more sense? And no I'm not into buying a $500+ monitor.

There's a really good write up on reddit atm about Free Vs. Gee

The 580 8GB I want is $309 currently, that doesn't seem outrageous.

Coach_ Apr 19, 2017 09:05 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Quote: (Poison Ivy @ Apr 19 2017, 08:40 PM)

The 580 8GB I want is $309 currently, that doesn't seem outrageous.
That sounds good. Which one are you looking at?

Coach_ Apr 19, 2017 09:08 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

I like the looks and cooling performance of these MSI cards.

Roundabout Apr 19, 2017 09:12 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

I would like to know where you get the rx 480 and 580 being an overclocked 290 from? Sure it is an evolved architecture but there have been a lot of changes done. It's not like NVidia has ever done it before.

Roundabout Apr 19, 2017 09:14 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Not in stock though

Poison Ivy Apr 19, 2017 11:30 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Quote: (Roundabout @ Apr 19 2017, 09:14 PM)

Roundabout said:
Not in stock though

Earlier in the thread Greg said Gigabyte and MSI are supposed to come in this week.

I'm now back to debating if 8GB is worth it over the 4GB version. I'm thinking not if I go with a 75hz 1080p monitor. I play more CPU intensive games anyways.

The 144 freesync is probably nice but realistically I don't think I'll really need that and the price gets up there. The Gigabyte gaming 3 mobo and GPU combo should play nice together with the RBG lighting. Because pretty lights > all hardware arguments

Garnet_A Apr 20, 2017 03:22 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

When the RX480 came out, Maximum PC did a review which included the 4GB and 8GB versions. In their testing, there was little or no difference between the two in their benchmarks. The results between the two RX580's should be similar. That said, if I was buying an RX580 I would get the 8GB card as the price difference is small and there may be benefits in some games.
My reference for utilizing the RX580 in Crossfire, as I previously said is buying one now and another "down the road" if the demand requires a more powerful card. It simply offers an option over the 1060. Case in point, I purchased a GTX 670 a few years ago paying the retail price, two years later I wanted more graphic power and purchased another 670 (used) for less than half the price of the first card. It kept my original card in service for a much longer time period. I never suggested buying two RX580 at the same time rather than a single high end card.

llunter Apr 20, 2017 06:25 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

I believe the prevailing wisdom is:
- 580 and below go amd (price permitting).
- 1070 and up go nvidia.

Poison Ivy Apr 20, 2017 07:13 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Quote: (Garnet_A @ Apr 20 2017, 03:22 AM)

Garnet_A said:
When the RX480 came out, Maximum PC did a review which included the 4GB and 8GB versions. In their testing, there was little or no difference between the two in their benchmarks. The results between the two RX580's should be similar. That said, if I was buying an RX580 I would get the 8GB card as the price difference is small and there may be benefits in some games.
My reference for utilizing the RX580 in Crossfire, as I previously said is buying one now and another "down the road" if the demand requires a more powerful card. It simply offers an option over the 1060. Case in point, I purchased a GTX 670 a few years ago paying the retail price, two years later I wanted more graphic power and purchased another 670 (used) for less than half the price of the first card. It kept my original card in service for a much longer time period. I never suggested buying two RX580 at the same time rather than a single high end card.

Yes, i've read all those reviews, but there is still a $50 price difference between the two. That's about the same gap as the 470. I think the price overall is good.

But, there is a 470 4GB out there now below $200 which I am tempted to go for. Apparently, it has something (power?) locked at 25% which is bad (can you tell I haven't OC'd a video card since 2011?) Asus ROG Strix 470

It seems the value is in the two extremes atm. 580 8GB Vs 470 4GB

Quote: (Garnet_A @ Apr 20 2017, 03:22 AM)

I believe the prevailing wisdom is:
- 580 and below go amd (price permitting).
- 1070 and up go nvidia.

Not quite sure what you mean... you don't really have a choice in the matter...

nToxik Apr 20, 2017 10:47 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

The AMD 5xx series is still old tech. It really is is just a slight refresh. nVidia is a much newer GPU.
That said, I am hoping AMD can really pull some magic with VEGA. Everyone should be hoping for this so that we see some better competition and lower GPU prices.
nVidia has had some really ****ty drivers over the past 6 months.
Also that whole 970 3.5GB debacle makes me want nVidia to feel some pain.

Jack_L2 Apr 20, 2017 11:06 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Ya I really lost respect for Nvidia over that 3.5GB thing. But AMD is not better by selling us the same card OCed over the last 4 years neither lol

The OCing room on the 580 will be very limited as the heat generated will be too much to bear

Biggest question is will Nvidia lower even more their gtx 1080 ($500 USD) and 1080ti ($700 USD) when VEGA is released or not? We know Vega HAS to be priced between $500 and $700, otherwise... well Nvidia becomes the new AMD lol

So at $600, the VEGA card would be perfectly priced. For 1440p you would still go for the 1080 at a $100 cheaper, and for 4k it would be between Vega and the 1080TI. Tough spot for Vega right now

Poison Ivy Apr 20, 2017 11:32 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Y'all make good points, but for my purposes I think I will go 5xx series. What do you think about my question above? Pay the extra ~$50 for the 8GB 580 if I'm only going 1080p/60hz?

Jack_L2 Apr 20, 2017 11:48 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

I always favor more VRAM, much more future proof for games you dont plan to play today, but everyone will ask you which games you are planning to play... Some games (Titanfall 2 for example) will require/favor the extra VRAM even though the performance capacity of the card itself does not need it. It would load maps and other graphic aspects much faster, without really needing much FPS.

Jack_L2 Apr 20, 2017 12:42 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

When you go CF (if you ever decide to), 4GB VRAM would start being your biggest problem

Poison Ivy Apr 20, 2017 01:21 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Ok I think I'll spend the extra, thanks for the help.

Comploder Apr 20, 2017 05:37 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

580 = higher binned chips.
Many folks can overclock the 480 to 580 speeds (580 is basically a free OC for the same price as a 480).

If card has low leakage, then undervolting and underclocking a little would be good for power.

I for one will be waiting for Vega as I shake my 980 need a good card for Freesync, after all.

PREV   |   NEXT   1 2  

Call Queue
Now Serving
Avg. Response Time
Estimate: 33 mins
Request Call Back
(Web Orders Only)

All Time Experts
1. Mr. Friendly™ (51387)
2. The Wizard (39824)
3. death_hawk™ (35144)
4. Not An Expert (26343)
5. Lance W (25246)

Featured Brands:
Shop by brands
Your Order Company Info Memberships Services Hotlinks
Customer Care
Order Status
About NCIX
Contact Us
Careers
Terms & Conditions
Branding & Logos
Privacy Policy
NCIX Rewards
Premier Partner Reseller
Affiliate Program
NCIX Gift Cards
Online Price Match
NCIX Newsletters
Facebook
YouTube
Twitter
Forums
International Sites: United States Canada
Copyright© 2015 - NCIXUS.com/NCIXUS Technology Inc. All rights reserved.