Welcome 
 Hot Deals 
 NCIX PC 
 Forums 
  CANADA |  USA
Hot Topics  |  Latest Postings  |  View Unreplied  |  Forum Bookmarks
Search
Hot Searches:

LATEST TOPICS |  FORUMS » SHAW CABLE » HOW DO I DISABLE SHAW PASSPOINT ON MY AN...
Subject: How do I disable Shaw Passpoint on my android phone without disabling wifi
Share this:  
Author Date Posted Tools
Doug_the_Slug Mar 10, 2017 01:17 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

I am getting pretty tired of having to disable my wifi every time I go out so I don't connect to shaw passpoint.

I have googled this over and over, and I am unable to figure out how to disable shaw passpoint without having to turn off wifi entirely. This is a clear cut case of throwing the baby out with the bath water.
- It's always unstable as hell and causes essentially all connections to die if I stumble across one while I'm using 4G
- I have no intention of ever connecting to any public Wifi since I never trust any of them

- It doesn't show up as a permanent SSID, so there's nothing to disable in wifi settings
- google only has help pages telling me what shaw passpoint is or how to connect

My phone is on freedom (aka wind), samsung galaxy note 5, android 6.0.1

- I never installed any shaw passpoint software, nor can I see anything shaw or passpoint related on my phone
- I never input any settings to ever connect to shaw passpoint

The program seems to run under a bunch of names, which makes searching how to disable it even more frustrating
- Shaw Go Wifi
- Freemdom Mobile Wifi (this supposedly needs an app?)
- Shaw Open (Not sure, this seems like a separate progam)

I want ShawPasspoint Gone. I never want to see my phone connect to it ever again when I have wifi enabled.

Topic URL: http://forums.ncix.com/forums/topic.php?id=2753794

Tip Posting | My Postings () | My Reviews () | View Source
nToxik Mar 10, 2017 02:16 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Can't you go to the Playstore to remove them?

Doug_the_Slug Mar 10, 2017 02:19 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Quote: (nToxik @ Mar 10 2017, 02:16 PM)

Can't you go to the Playstore to remove them?

To remove what though? I can't find any apps or settings related to it. It just seems to connect...

If it was as simple as removing a shaw passpoint app that I can see, I'd have done that ages ago... :(

Doug_the_Slug Mar 10, 2017 02:25 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

For reference, this is what I've found on the various wifi programs and services offered that sound like the passpoint junk I'm connecting to:

Shaw Go:
https://community.shaw.ca/docs/DOC-1892

Freedom Wifi:
http://mobilesyrup.com/2016/12/07/new-freedom-mobile-wi-fi-app-helps-customers-find-free-hotspots/

Shaw Open:
I can't actually find any product pages that describe  this program. It's maybe deprecated by shaw in favour of their shaw go program.

But I can't find anything related to any of these programs or services on my phone to delete, uninstall, disable or remove configuration for.

justmoe1 Mar 10, 2017 05:20 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

on my oneplus 3 all I had to do was forget network as usual. think it might be something to do with the phone. Oneplus only adds minor improvements to vanilla android with OxygenOS.

holding down on the network should be giving you 3 options.

This message was modified by the poster at 03 10, 2017 05:22 PM

Doug_the_Slug Mar 13, 2017 08:35 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Quote: (justmoe1 @ Mar 10 2017, 05:20 PM)

Hrmm, I'll try that next time. It's been so long since I've tried fiddling with it that I just reflex turn off wifi as soon as I see shaw passpoint show up on screen.

Greg * NCIX.com Mar 15, 2017 03:40 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

I think Passpoint uses a certificate to store your login credentials for ShawOpen. I had to do something similar on my iPhone when I left Shaw.

Try these instructions to see if you can find/delete  the certificate:
https://support.google.com/nexus/answer/2844832?hl=en

Tip Posting | My Postings (18730) | My Reviews (4) | My Profile | View Source
Doug_the_Slug Mar 16, 2017 08:17 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Quote: (Greg * NCIX.com @ Mar 15 2017, 03:40 PM)

I think Passpoint uses a certificate to store your login credentials for ShawOpen. I had to do something similar on my iPhone when I left Shaw.

This looked promising, but upon find the appropriate settings section (path is slightly different on every phone. for me it was "lock screen and security" -> "Other Security Settings" -> ), the "clear credentials" is grayed out, and "user certificates" section is empty.

Either the cert is somewhere in the long list of system root certs (Doubtful, and I'm not sure I want to go screwing with this list), or that isn't where it's stored :(

cabby Mar 19, 2017 01:51 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

In my iPhone, Shaw Passpoint is listed under Settings, profile, Shaw Passpoint. Find it and delete  it.

Doug_the_Slug Mar 20, 2017 10:20 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Quote: (cabby @ Mar 19 2017, 01:51 AM)

In my iPhone, Shaw Passpoint is listed under Settings, profile, Shaw Passpoint. Find it and delete  it.

Couldn't find any sort of "profile" section in android settings :\

Ei3N Mar 20, 2017 11:12 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like (1) | Top | Bottom

login to your shaw.ca account, under the Internet tab, click on remove for your particular device

Greg * NCIX.com Mar 20, 2017 11:29 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Quote: (Doug_the_Slug @ Mar 16 2017, 08:17 AM)

This looked promising, but upon find the appropriate settings section (path is slightly different on every phone. for me it was "lock screen and security" -> "Other Security Settings" -> ), the "clear credentials" is grayed out, and "user certificates" section is empty

Yeah, my own experience with using ShawOpen on android did not require the certificate either, so it was a long shot. iPhone requires it, so I was curious if some versions of Android supported the certificate. My android phone only ever connected to ShawOpen hotspots and never connected to Passpoint labeled ones.

Perhaps I'm overthinking this. Next time you've connected to a ShawOpen hotspot, try using the "Forget Network" option to see if you can disconnect and stay disconnected?

Tip Posting | My Postings (18730) | My Reviews (4) | My Profile | View Source
Doug_the_Slug Mar 20, 2017 01:16 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Quote: (Ei3N @ Mar 20 2017, 11:12 AM)

login to your shaw.ca account, under the Internet tab, click on remove for your particular device

I do not have a shaw.ca account, I do not have internet with shaw. This is a wind phone (now freedom mobile).

justmoe1 Mar 20, 2017 04:55 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Samsung does not use Vanilla android. they change settings far more then most manufacturers. I have newest version of android and forget network is a permanent fix on the Oneplus 3. Oneplus wifi settings are unchanged from vanilla.

Doug_the_Slug Mar 20, 2017 05:15 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Quote: (justmoe1 @ Mar 10 2017, 05:20 PM)

Finally remembered to try this today.
- when connected, go into settings -> wifi
- shawpasspoint shows as connected at the top
- click and hold -> animation shows that you're holding (dark area expands from point of touch)
- animation stops - nothing
- let go - window pops up as if it was just a regular click
- popup window shows connection info with only one button - cancel.

No forget.

F*cking insidious. I hate this cr*p

Oh, and if I do the 3 second hold with any other actual wifi connection, I do get the proper popup to forget. As well as the regular click on any other wifi connection has a proper forget option.

Call Queue
Now Serving
Closed
Avg. Response Time
Closed
Request Call Back
(Web Orders Only)

All Time Experts
1. Mr. Friendly™ (51387)
2. The Wizard (39824)
3. death_hawk™ (35144)
4. Not An Expert (26343)
5. Lance W (25246)

Featured Brands:
Shop by brands
Your Order Company Info Memberships Services Hotlinks
Customer Care
Order Status
About NCIX
Contact Us
Careers
Terms & Conditions
Branding & Logos
Privacy Policy
NCIX Rewards
Premier Partner Reseller
Affiliate Program
NCIX Gift Cards
Online Price Match
NCIX Newsletters
Facebook
YouTube
Twitter
Forums
International Sites: United States Canada
Copyright© 2015 - NCIXUS.com/NCIXUS Technology Inc. All rights reserved.