Welcome 
 Hot Deals 
 NCIX PC 
 Forums 
  CANADA |  USA
Hot Topics  |  Latest Postings  |  View Unreplied  |  Forum Bookmarks
Search
Hot Searches:

LATEST TOPICS |  FORUMS » OFF TOPIC » WHAT CORDLESS DRILL/DRIVER DO YOU HAVE/U...
Subject: what cordless drill/driver do you have/use?
Share this:  
Author Date Posted Tools
Mr. Friendly™ Mar 17, 2017 08:10 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

need to get one. considering a DeWalt 20v Max for about $110, but for similar pricing, I can get B&D kits, which have about the same in user ratings.

I'm not a cheapskate, but I don't want to spend more than I need to on something that wont see much use.

Topic URL: http://forums.ncix.com/forums/topic.php?id=2754163

Tip Posting | My Postings () | My Reviews () | View Source
AnthonyE Mar 17, 2017 08:18 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

I have the 20V Max Drill/Impact Driver bundle. I like them a lot, very durable and battery recharges fast.

For general purpose stuff I use the 8V gyroscopic screwdriver.

Roundabout Mar 17, 2017 08:21 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

For occasional use a b&d kit is fine in most cases. If you plan on a large project or driving long screws you can't go wrong with dewalt, which a lot don't know is owned by b&d and created to be their high end line.

NaX Mar 17, 2017 09:00 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

cordless - DeWalt
corded - i was cheap and bought HD's Ryobi corded drill to drill down a subfloor (for tiling); did a very large area with no problems

generally I go with DeWalt

Mr. Friendly™ Mar 17, 2017 09:04 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

yeah, I'm far from a handiman...it would be for quick projects like putting together Ikea, or drilling holes for mounting a TV or picture.

very simple stuff.

fergot about Makita and Ryobi too...

have always loved the Makita name since Ernest Goes To Camp and spoke of the 'Makita Warriors'.

Nickd Mar 17, 2017 09:19 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

I'm not saying don't buy the dewalt drill, but i'm willing to bet that it has a wobble issue. I own one it will be going back when i'm finished my shift. Check out the videos on youtube. The wobble is a real thing.

Coach_ Mar 17, 2017 09:34 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like (1) | Top | Bottom

Milwaukee Fuel line only. They are brushless motors and make for powerful tools that last. Paired with XC5.0 or 6.0 batteries these tools are incredible! It is all I buy now.

Mr. Friendly™ Mar 17, 2017 09:50 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

actually, I think I'm going to go with the Bosch DDB181-02.

not expensive and very well reviewed.

https://www.boschtools.com/ca/en/boschtools-ocs/cordless-drills-ddb181-02-115131-p/

justmoe1 Mar 17, 2017 10:58 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

i cheaped out and bought a certain stores house brand Power it!. I have been extremely impressed so far. will see how long it lasts. only paid 30.00.

Garnet_A Mar 18, 2017 05:05 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

That Bosch is the one I've been using for a year or so. Great drill! It gets a fair amount of use, is powerful and has good battery life. Certainly a good choice for the homeowner.

Sneil Mar 18, 2017 07:06 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like (1) | Top | Bottom

Milwaukee is the only way to go. In my line of work we've used them all and Milwaukee is the best of the best right now. DeWalt has been by far war the worst. Heavy and clunky when it works, and burns out faster than the rest. But, what do you expect from Black & Decker.

This message was modified by the poster at 03 18, 2017 07:07 AM

Jason_B48 Mar 18, 2017 07:11 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like (2) | Top | Bottom

I have some general advice if you don't use your tool very often, I have a business and i repair all kind of tool (pneumatic,electric ect..) and i see many many time people who don't understand the "technology" and pitfall of some kind of tool

First if you don't use your tool very often, lithium ion battery need to be charged every month, if you leave the battery drain itself too long the electronic cut-off protection will prevent you to recharge the battery and you will end with a paper weight. Myself i had many battery tool and every time the same thing happen i don't use them and the battery crap out because of that. The nicd technology is old but it seem the winner for the no use abuse, they always retake charge and seem to last 4-6 year longer than Li-Ion battery.

The new brush-less tool have many benefit but there some draw back maybe it's not applicable for you specifically but it worth mentioning. I see this for many Dewalt 20v but it happen for the new Ridgid brushless and Milwaukee too. (The switch is practically the same btw, i can swap the Ridgid with the Milwaukee it's the same thing just not the same color :). ) The switch seem to crap out for no reason, i have many many drill who came with different age, different usage and all had the same problem the switch die, the problem is if the tool is not on warranty well you put the tool in the garbage because the list price of the switch is the rebate price of the tool. I recommend if you really want a brushless tool to take a Ridgid (home depot brand name) and register for the lifetime warranty (LSA) your battery/charger and tool will be covered for life for any "defect". If you don't soak your tool in the rain or "abuse" them it's always covered, i can tell you i have 654 happy customer in the last 3 year who got new battery, new charger, free repair and even new tool.

Myself i have a corded drill because of my very little usage, it's always ready, you plug it and you drill it.

The last advice, the price matter, don't except a 100$ drill to do the job of a 300$ drill, the 100$ drill will smoke and burn before the 300$ drill every time.
I say that because every week i have someone with his tool (like this week someone came with a burned 79$ Bosch drill) who say, "It's a (insert  know brand name), (insert  know brand name) make quality tool!". Well everything is made in china (even Milwaukee now) and the price is a good start to see if you will have this tool 1-3 year or 10-15 year. Milwaukee, Makita still have part for 5-10 and even 30 year old tool, Ridgid i can tell you some are discontinued after only 2 year, i even see tool with discontinued part selling at my home depot, if you don't register for the Ridgid LSA you will probably scrap the tool and buy another in a few year.

Well a tool who crap on you on the job is not a pleasant experience and maybe this will hurt your wallet, but paying more $$$ is a safe bet in 99% of the case. The tool will do his job when you need it and spare part will be available if needed.

Mr. Friendly™ Mar 18, 2017 10:13 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

thanks for the advice, Jason. quick question though. Bosch is saying their batteries are good for holding a charge for over a year...yet you're saying otherwise. can you clarify your comment and why you say it?

Babaghan Mar 18, 2017 10:17 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

I have a bunch of DeWalt power tools I never use. Should double check the batteries on those...

SummE Mar 18, 2017 10:36 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

I could only afford 1 quality drill for long term, reliable, general home repair use, so I got a 12V Makita Impact, about $300. Really good purchase for my needs.

A drill/driver or combo kit is a better bet for most, but I wanted to error on side of power instead of finesse. I've had it 6 years now, and the Li-ion is still perfectly fine, i just make sure the battery is never stored in the tool. I've never hit a home chore job it was under-powered for, and really appreciated that power for repairing a plank in the fence. Only drawback is the hex chuck really only works with bits. The odd time i needed a quick grind or drill bit it's been hard to find, but to be honest that's not an appropriate use for the impact, and I really should get a matching drill/driver for that.

Never had a quality problem with makitas, but never was satisfied with the durability of hitachis and dewalts.

Jason_B48 Mar 18, 2017 02:57 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like (1) | Top | Bottom

Quote: (Mr. Friendly™ @ Mar 18 2017, 10:13 AM)

Mr. Friendly™ said:
thanks for the advice, Jason. quick question though. Bosch is saying their batteries are good for holding a charge for over a year...yet you're saying otherwise. can you clarify your comment and why you say it?

I don't see Bosch battery very often (maybe they keep the charge 1 year) but even with the best Li-ion cell you are still around 5-8% self discharge rate per month with some brand claiming 2-3%, so after 1 year you have lost many Watt/hr of power and it's not all, you have the balancing of the cell, usually i use the 100mv delta between each cell for optimum performance, so in each battery you have a PCB with a micro controller who need to check the charge, balance each cell, and give you power and drain some in the process. Usually a dead battery pack is caused by 1-2 cell who fail to keep a charge or heat because of the self resistance. Usually the charger will see that and tell you the battery is defective or worst the charger charge/top the battery but when you use it the cell voltage start dropping and the battery pack shutdown, stop giving you power, you can use the drill but when you reach the threshold voltage the micro controller cut the power, the cell recover and you start again.

Maybe Bosch have a trick or very very good battery with very low self discharge rate, but i can tell you this, 8 of 10 battery i see in my shop in March April and May are battery left in working condition stored in October/November for the winter, some are in the basement, some in external storage, Millwaukee, Makita, Ridgid, Ryobi, every brand who use Li-ion battery, the client always said they where full but i know it's not always the case, it's why i say charge your battery every month, you will keep them fresh, happy and ready.

I don't say Li-ion is ****, it's the best thing after the bread and butter, the energy density one of the best, it's light and can give you many C with a great discharge rate efficiency, the problem is the process and they need to be carefully monitored usually each 18650 Li-ion cell have a little PCB inside the top of the battery, some cut under 2.5v under load voltage some 3v but at 2.5v the cell is depleted, go under 2,1 volt and you have the chance to kill the cell. Sometime they recover but i saw many cell who crap out in my RC hobby by discharging them too far.

They need care and love that's all.

Tips: 10 Points tipped from 1 members
justmoe1 Mar 19, 2017 04:00 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

all this information applies to many different types of equipment. i used some of it to buy my last vacuum. I also buy 18650 and 26650 batteries and i care for them even more then my computers. i even rewrap them regularly as even the smallest tear or dent can be a disaster waiting. these batteries are not universal. there are thousands of bad batteries on the market and they probably get put into cheaper products. I generally only buy sony, samsung, or LG. but taking apart devices to find a battery brand is not always possible and device reviews never give that kind of information. LG is biggest manufacturer and has plants throughout Asia called LG chem.

it's amazing how much of what we own utilizes some form of battery. most will never be seen.

Mr. Friendly™ Mar 19, 2017 04:21 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

the blasted batteries are EXPENSIVE...almost as much as the drill itself.

had a surprise of a lifetime. order shipped out this morning, but I didn't expect it until Monday, but they called saying they tried to deliver at my work place, which is closed on the weekends.

fortunately for me, I live right around the corner, so they drove over and dropped it off with me.

charging the batteries now...

NArkshaRK Mar 22, 2017 12:01 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

For about $200 total over the last 10-15 years I was able to get six Ryobi 18V batteries, two 18V drills, an 18V grinder, two flashlight accessories, a radio and two chargers. They're heavy but have never failed me. Sometimes people return the drill battery combos and they get re-sold at Home Depot for half price or less because the drill has a scratch or something, easy way to get more batteries and a spare drill.

I wouldn't use these on a jobsite where reliability was paramount, but for casual home use these have been great.

Entz Mar 22, 2017 12:38 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

I use a older Craftsman 18v, came with 2 lithium ion batteries. Its nothing fancy but gets the job done and was super cheap. I am not exactly hard on it either. Not sure what direction I will go in when she dies.

[] [POSSE] [] Cptn. Vortex Mar 22, 2017 07:23 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

I've got about 4 years out of my compact 12v Makita set. Was on sale for $99 back then and only now are the batteries starting to be all but useless. I like the set for basic and quick work because they are so small and light. No good though for big jobs.

Mr. Friendly™ Mar 23, 2017 06:33 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

you're going to find replacement batteries the same or more than you paid for the drill originally, LOLOL!!!

JoeJr Mar 23, 2017 07:12 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Quote: (Mr. Friendly™ @ Mar 23 2017, 06:33 AM)

charging the batteries now..

So what did you end up going with? Was it the Bosch?

Mr. Friendly™ Mar 23, 2017 08:35 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

yep, got the Bosch DDB-181.

$110 on the river...purchased on Saturday, Dynamex delivered Sunday.

[] [POSSE] [] Cptn. Vortex Mar 24, 2017 03:29 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Amazon has knock offs I may try for dirt cheap...

TheGreatGazoo™ Mar 24, 2017 07:32 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

I got the Ryobi One+ set a year ago. No issues with them. Batteries seem to hold a charge for a long time. I just checked the battery on my grass trimmer that hasn't been used since October. Still a full charge showing.

One thing I learned recently is to use the impact driver for driving in screws versus the drill. The impact driver will not cause stripping of screws or bolts like a drill does. I had no idea. lol

d2frm Mar 25, 2017 02:22 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Quote: (Mr. Friendly™ @ Mar 19 2017, 04:21 PM)

the blasted batteries are EXPENSIVE...almost as much as the drill itself.

Batteries are now the new ink/toner carts, unsurprisingly.

Call Queue
Now Serving
Avg. Response Time
Estimate: 33 mins
Request Call Back
(Web Orders Only)

All Time Experts
1. Mr. Friendly™ (51387)
2. The Wizard (39824)
3. death_hawk™ (35144)
4. Not An Expert (26343)
5. Lance W (25246)

Featured Brands:
Shop by brands
Your Order Company Info Memberships Services Hotlinks
Customer Care
Order Status
About NCIX
Contact Us
Careers
Terms & Conditions
Branding & Logos
Privacy Policy
NCIX Rewards
Premier Partner Reseller
Affiliate Program
NCIX Gift Cards
Online Price Match
NCIX Newsletters
Facebook
YouTube
Twitter
Forums
International Sites: United States Canada
Copyright© 2015 - NCIXUS.com/NCIXUS Technology Inc. All rights reserved.