Welcome 
 Hot Deals 
 NCIX PC 
 Forums 
  CANADA |  USA
Hot Topics  |  Latest Postings  |  View Unreplied  |  Forum Bookmarks
Search
Hot Searches:

LATEST TOPICS |  FORUMS » OFF TOPIC » AR & MR.FRIENDLY, LET'S TALK COFFEE ...
Subject: RE: AR & mr.friendly, let's talk coffee part deux
Share this:  
PREV   |   NEXT   1 2 3 4 5 6  
Author Date Posted Tools
Mr. Friendly™ [CGN] Dec 29, 2011 08:34 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

man...I should NOT have had two cups of decaf. equates to 1 cup of regular in the long run and I didn't fall asleep till 11:30PM last night. had a bit of a rough day at work...starting at 6:30AM like I do! :P

nothing new to say about the machine, but I am impressed with it. a small footprint, brews quickly and leaves you a very hot cup of joe. I'm going to have fun playing with the flavor profiles I can generate on it!

Tip Posting | My Postings () | My Reviews () | View Source
Llama_egg Dec 29, 2011 08:42 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Quote: (justmoe1 p Dec 26 2011, 06:03 PM)

i am thinking of getting a rocky which is what i used back in my barista days.

The Rocky use to be king, now the best grinder in it's price range is the Baratza Vario. And honestly, much like the Rocky, the thing will last for as long as you take care of it.

Also, not sure if I actually ever posted this, but my current on-going coffee setup.

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m95/llamaegg/DSC00344.jpg

I honestly can't believe I'm looking at probably over two grand sitting on that table   :blink:

I was sure I had the ability to imbed pictures before

This message was modified by the poster at 12 29, 2011 08:43 PM

Mr. Friendly™ [CGN] Dec 29, 2011 08:52 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

what's the espresso maker? my first guess is a Rocket Cellini? That's what I want...just not sure if I'm going to get the Premium or the Evoluzione.

® Emanon © Dec 29, 2011 09:04 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Lately I have turned into a total coffee nut. I used to only be able to drink one cup in the morning. Anymore and I would have a nasty gut all day. I saw an ad for the "aeropress" and decided to order one. Well I don't know if it was a good thing or not as I drink tons of coffee now   The acidity level is much lower and I can drink all I want and it doesn't give me problems in the stomach at all anymore. And the taste is much smoother as well. My favorite three beans (in order of most to least favorite) are 1. Makita French Vanilla (by far the best bean I have had taking into account value) 2. Sumatra Bean (get it from a local specialty shop and not cheap) 3. Ethiopian bean from Costco (when I feel like there isn't enough hair on my chest  )

The Makita beans I get from a local grocery store chain named Quality Foods and they have this deal where you can chose one item a day and get a deal on it and when I do that with the bags of these beans, I don't know if it's a mistake but not going to say anything if it is   , I get a kilo bag for $9.99. Wicked deal for a really good bean. They have I think 5 types but I really really like the French Vanilla one. Tastes really good when FV flavour is roasted right into the bean. I don't like post-brew flavours or creams at all.

I use the Aeropress probably 6-10 times a day now and loving it. My son broke my french press so I have an excuse to drop  $100 on a Vacuum brew pot so will try one of those out. Just want to watch it make coffee  

I have made coffee for many people since I got the aeropress and all of them have loved it.

My old grinder (crappy $15 one) is finally dying and my sister gave me the idea to use my magic bullet blender to grind the beans and it works like a charm. I can't bring myself to spend a ton to grind the beans as I am not THAT nutty yet lol. Though I did see a $30 grinder so may try that out, but the magic bullet seems to work as good as any coffee shop grinder does. Just have to know how to use it just right and watch for the perfect grind time.

I think I need to go make myself a cup now   :D

This message was modified by the poster at 12 29, 2011 09:06 PM

Mr. Friendly™ [CGN] Dec 29, 2011 09:07 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

hey Emanon...Makita...or Melitta? if it's Melitta, then yeh, it goes on sale for around $10/bag fairly often.

I'm drinking this single origin fair trade stuff by a local company in Vancouver that goes by the name Doi Chaang. the beans come from that region of Thailand. I'm very impressed!

about to buy a popcorn maker to roast coffee with. I have a Behmor 1600...have for about a year now, but I just don't feel like using it. probably will...eventually,

® Emanon © Dec 29, 2011 09:10 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

haha ya "Melitta"

must have power tools on the brain  

And if anyone wants to watch a vacuum pot in action http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxIs2GVsqgY

And the brewer I talked about, and am definitely a fan for sure http://www.aeropress.ca/

This message was modified by the poster at 12 29, 2011 09:16 PM

Llama_egg Dec 30, 2011 05:01 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Quote: (Mr. Friendly™ [CGN] @ Dec 29 2011, 08:52 PM)

what's the espresso maker

Nope. It's a Bezzera Medea, E61 head. Managed to get a pretty wicked deal on it and the Vario, and was worth every penny. Still sad that I went from nearly buying the Rancilio Silvia (which is one of the best in it's price range) to basically doubling the cost and buying a different machine!

The Aeropress is a pretty great device, while I do prefer the taste of french press it still does a damn good job and all comes down to preference. Probably going to buy a ceramic dripper while I'm in Edmonton for a month (silly work training), it's small enough that I should have no problem using it in a hotel room, and I've heard nothing but praise (a lot of cafe's are currently using pour over as their choice of brewing method).

I spend waaaaaay too much money on this stuff.

Mr. Friendly™ [CGN] Dec 30, 2011 06:47 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

ah yes...the Medea, totally forgot about that model. I'll have to look it over...there are far to many options in the mid to high pro-sumer level! I've been oggling the Rocket Cellini forever...I just can't bring myself to spend $2100 on the Evoluzione, even though I know it's what I 'want'.

I prefer using my Chemex over the Aeropress, but every now and then, I'll use the Aeropress. I also forgot that I have an EsproPress. this is a French Press styled device made out of stainless steel that has two fine metal filters, to remove most of the grit from the coffee. I use it infrequently as well, always defaulting to my Chemex. it does a good cup...I just need to buy a bigger one for when my family visits as the 3 cup is far to small for 3 mugs of joe.

I'm going to get a V60 or is it H60 from Hario eventually. I primarily keep forgetting about them.

since you're an espresso junkie, you could get a HandPresso or MyPressi and have it on the 'go!'

HandPresso:
http://www.handpresso.ca/

MyPressi:
www.mypressi.com

MP41 Dec 30, 2011 07:18 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Italian style called: CAFFETTIERA or Mocha, coffee maker in 2 separated parts, the bottom you put water than in the funnel-filter fine grainded coffee ILLY, put them back together, smack on the flames wait until its start brewing and as soon you hear the sound & smell you turned off the flames otherwise you will burn it and kill the flavor.

http://www.ebay.com.sg/itm/ROTEX-BRIKKA-CAFFETTIERA-MOKA-2-TAZZE-BIALETTI-CAFFe-/300364951213

Its in Italian but what the heck its origins are from Italy.

Cheers
Marco
P.S.
Mr. Friendly™ [CGN] - one of these days we should meet and have a blast with a good cup fo coffee & Brioche

Beowulf2b Dec 30, 2011 09:07 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Wow now you guys are true coffee buffs roasting your own beans!

As for the the VAC pot you should go for the Japanese VAC pot for its durability.

Mr. Friendly™ [CGN] Dec 30, 2011 09:13 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

MP41...I'd be glad to meet up for a cup of joe! especially if your MP41 name has anything to do with the German SMG!

I work in Van, but live in Burnaby. where are you?

Beowulf2b Dec 30, 2011 09:31 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

The least expensive of all my "Vietnamese coffee press"
I don't think there is any cup of coffee with the kick I get from Trung Nguyen Vietnamese coffee over condensed milk.

Beowulf2b Dec 30, 2011 09:37 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Quote: (Mr. Friendly™ [CGN] @ Dec 30 2011, 09:13 AM)

Mr. Friendly™ [CGN] said:
MP41...I'd be glad to meet up for a cup of joe! especially if your MP41 name has anything to do with the German SMG!

LoL My Friendly expert on Coffee and Firearms.

MP41 Dec 30, 2011 09:39 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Delete Image. Please use this feature thoughtfully.  Report this image 

Quote: (Mr. Friendly™ [CGN] @ Dec 30 2011, 09:13 AM)

Mr. Friendly™ [CGN] said:

MP41 stand for my initials & age
Im in Saskatoon,SK..

Coffee Rulez

MP41 Dec 30, 2011 09:48 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Hey coffee lovers, I have good news for ya. In this article its say a man who drink 6 cups of coffee daily drasticly reduce the chance to have prostate cancer . For womans who drink 4 or more they reduce the rertility

WELL LETS GO SCREWING WITHOUT WORRYIES

MP41 Dec 30, 2011 09:50 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Forgot to give ya the link here it is:

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=pic+of+coffee+rulez+&view=detail&id=8AA78EDAAD2532C352C7B39C36A62C3245C303DB&first=31&FORM=IDFRIR

Cheers
Marco

Mr. Friendly™ [CGN] Dec 30, 2011 05:10 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Quote: (MP41 @ Dec 30 2011, 09:39 AM)

MP41 stand for my initials & age

that's too bad. if it meant the SMG, it would have been so much cooler.

for those of you willing to pollute this nectar of the gods, what are your favorite flavors?

my majors are mint, vanilla and amaretto. I can live without hazelnut, doesn't do anything for me. thought I would have like cinnamon, being I will sprinkle some now and then...but as a syrup, either the batch I had was bad, or just doesn't jive with the joe as well as I'd hoped. :P

justmoe1 Dec 30, 2011 05:37 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

black...unless you have some irish cream.

Mr. Friendly™ [CGN] Dec 30, 2011 05:41 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

I can deal with Irish Cream...but again, like Hazelnut, just doesn't do it for me. I'll kill for some Amaretto...fond childhood memories of the flavor of a treat my Oma would make us that had cherry/almond in it.

Calypso Dec 30, 2011 06:14 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Coffee is a health drink. Its like a smoothie. Unlike a smoothie though, I don't know if there's any actual protein in coffee. Maybe only the cream you add.
Oh, here we go! Being the time of the season it is? More Grand Marnier, please!
A dollop of whip cream. Spanish Coffee? Irish Coffee?
Maybe just a little Bailey's?.....any coffee with something in it?I love coffee! Happy New Year everyone, and yes, coffee will be a part of that.

Beowulf2b Dec 30, 2011 09:06 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Mr Friendly you must be of German descent?

Mr. Friendly™ [CGN] Dec 30, 2011 11:55 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Quote: (Beowulf2b @ Dec 30 2011, 09:06 PM)

Mr Friendly you must be of German descent?

close, but no cigar. I'm of Dutch heritage

justmoe1 Jan 02, 2012 12:02 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

turns out everything for sale at transcend is not available, online only, or both. the cafe is not the greatest and they only use espresso machines which means americanos only. odd with all the equipment they sell. bad music in a space with a loud echo.

large coffee 3.75!

Mr. Friendly™ [CGN] Jan 05, 2012 05:51 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

that sux Moe.

did you buy anything from somewhere else or are you going to online?

justmoe1 Jan 05, 2012 06:23 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

just got back and may just buy from my usual store mentioned earlier. i might try their beans though. free shipping is free shipping. would have like to save the 7 percent though.

when i get the beans i will grab a popcorn machine at LD down the street.

i am also watching for grinder deals elsewhere like CL or kijiji. missed a mazzer super jolly for 550.00. don't think its for course grinding anyway.

Mr. Friendly™ [CGN] Jan 05, 2012 06:44 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

the super jolly is an espresso grinder. it might be able to do drip/press, but I don't know. most fanatics have a dedicated espresso grinder that is tuned finely for their preferred bean and grind. they have another grinder for the rest. I still advise you to go buy a Vario.

we should start a post with links to all our favorite shops for coffee paraphernalia.

I've gone to:

www.espressotec.com
www.thegreenbeanery.ca
www.transcendcoffee.com

justmoe1 Jan 05, 2012 06:53 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

idrinkcoffee.com

just noticed there a is a newer vario that is weight based. the vario-w which is at idrinkcoffee.com.

darn, missed the no tax sale there too.

This message was modified by the poster at 01 05, 2012 07:29 PM

justmoe1 Jan 05, 2012 07:28 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

just watched 4 videos of chemex brewing and no 2 methods were the same. should be interesting to see which tastes better if one method is better then the other.

Mr. Friendly™ [CGN] Jan 06, 2012 05:18 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

link us to them...I'd like to see this, being I use the Chemex!

justmoe1 Jan 07, 2012 05:03 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

i just went down the list after googleing the word chemex.

PREV   |   NEXT   1 2 3 4 5 6  

Call Queue
Now Serving
Closed
Avg. Response Time
Closed
Request Call Back
(Web Orders Only)

All Time Experts
1. Mr. Friendly™ (51387)
2. The Wizard (39824)
3. death_hawk™ (35144)
4. Not An Expert (26343)
5. Lance W (25246)

Featured Brands:
Shop by brands
Your Order Company Info Memberships Services Hotlinks
Customer Care
Order Status
About NCIX
Contact Us
Careers
Terms & Conditions
Branding & Logos
Privacy Policy
NCIX Rewards
Premier Partner Reseller
Affiliate Program
NCIX Gift Cards
Online Price Match
NCIX Newsletters
Facebook
YouTube
Twitter
Forums
International Sites: United States Canada
Copyright© 2015 - NCIXUS.com/NCIXUS Technology Inc. All rights reserved.