Welcome 
 Hot Deals 
 NCIX PC 
 Forums 
  CANADA |  USA
Hot Topics  |  Latest Postings  |  View Unreplied  |  Forum Bookmarks
Search
Hot Searches:

LATEST TOPICS |  FORUMS » GENERAL DISCUSSIONS » THINKING OF UPGRADING TO INTEL 8 GENERAT...
Subject: thinking of upgrading to Intel 8 generation!
Share this:  
Author Date Posted Tools
StillTime Oct 07, 2017 05:37 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like (1) | Top | Bottom

hello guys,

I am using a 7 years old HP computer with Intel 1st generation i7 [860] with 8 GB of RAM.
Am finally thinking of upgrading my motherboard and Intel 8th generation i7 with the help of my caregiver.

1st I would like to know if it's possible to use "ease to do backup" to migrate all my Old Windows 10 OS files and programs to the new computer? I am currently using a Samsung SSD [llimited by my sata II] and I am really interested in getting an M.2 PCI 3.0 SSD.

2nd I would like to recycle my 600 W PSU, and my GTX 970 GPU from my old computer[upgraded in 2015].
I understand that I have to buy a new case, motherboard, RAM, CPU and M.2 SSD.. What else am I missing?

3rd I would like my system to be very stable. So I am not going to overclock and I don't play too much games. The computer will be on 24 7, hopefully for the next 7 years :-)

Any help would be much appreciated especially with my 1st question.
Thanks

This message was modified by the poster at 10 07, 2017 05:44 PM

Topic URL: http://forums.ncix.com/forums/topic.php?id=2761612

Tip Posting | My Postings () | My Reviews () | View Source
Mr. Friendly™ Oct 07, 2017 06:46 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like (2) | Top | Bottom

hey ST, some things to keep in mind.

there will only be mobo's with the performance Z370 chipset at first...none of the simpler one's for non-overclocking purposes are expected until sometime in Q1 2018.

that said, if you wait, I would still consider the K processors as they have higher base clocks, even if you don't plan on overclocking.

M.2 SSD's are a good idea. they're not much more than regular SSD's, they make for a cleaner system as no data or power cables to clutter things. PCIe NVMe aren't really necessary, as you don't see much difference in performance from the SATA variety unless you're moving massive amounts of data, like movie makers and such do. on top of that, the only time I've seen a PCIe SSD actually show it's faster in in boot up. my SATA SSD takes 10 seconds to boot up, while the M.2 PCIe SSD's take about half that. launching software, opening files...nada. no difference.

you can try moving your old install to the new PC, but it'll have a serious freak out and may have the end result of being unstable, so it would be wise to back up your data to an external drive, do a fresh install of Windows and your programs, and then restore the data to the new install.

if you have time...when you're ready to use the new PC, uninstall all the drivers in your old PC's Windows 10...swap the drive over to the new PC, restart, let it freak out, do a repair and see how system performance is.

GoofieNewfie Oct 07, 2017 07:05 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like (1) | Top | Bottom

i'm in the same boat, but my rig is gaming first, everything else 2nd. I have 970 sli, 1100watt PS, Samsung SSD and WD Blacks I'm going to carry over. My setup is dying for an upgrade. i7-2600k. Still runs stuff well but my Asus board is showing some issues, sound card is dead, some usb quirks etc. I use HDMI to a denon receiver to my living room tv to game as I have an bad injury and can't sit up at a desk. So the sound card doesn't bother it, but I'm having issues with stability unless I keep it at stock speeds now. It's old. I have never had a PC beyond 3-4 years before this machine, it has held up really well.

So, 8700k for me. But what mobo? I can't decide. Seems too early to tell. I'm typically an Asus mobo guy. Every PC I've built (I'm 42) has been Asus but I'm reading about people having a lot of issues getting RMA's from them now and bad support? And what ram? Corsair still good? or go with something else?

Mr. Friendly™ Oct 07, 2017 07:30 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like (2) | Top | Bottom

hey Newf, my go-to boards are the Asus ROG STRIX. as for complaints, keep in mind that Asus is probably the most popular motherboard manufacturer out there, and you never much from the happy people, only the unhappy. further...Asus has a service centre or two in Canada. I know there is one in Burnaby, BC...and I would think they'd have another one in Ontario, though I could be wrong. my point is, no cross-border or international shipping worries.

you might want to see if you can sell your 970's to raise capital for a newer/better GPU. they're many generations old now and will become the bottleneck for your system as the 8700K is fast enough for the very best out there.

1000w PSU is good...but how old is it? they wear out. also, is it Gold rated? if it's inefficient, you might just want to box it for a spare.

for RAM, I'm going to assume you'll want at least 16GB. the Z370 is rated for 4000mhz support out of box, but I have even seen some mobo's rated to handle even higher speeds. issue is that it's hard to find high capacity kits at higher speeds like that, so you might consider gong with something like 3600mhz RAM and seeing what you can get out of it. Corsair Vengance LPX is my fav...CAS 16, not 14, unless you're only going to run the XMP profile for it's rated speed.

GoofieNewfie Oct 08, 2017 05:08 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like (1) | Top | Bottom

My PS is 1100Watt, gold. 3 years old. Modular.
Existing PC has 16gig ram, so new will have at least 16gig.
evga oc'd 970's ftw I'll keep until next gen comes out and I'll probably drop  sli completely after that - poor support.
thanks for tips!

StillTime Oct 12, 2017 06:36 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like (1) | Top | Bottom

I am ASUS fan too.
Will this do for me ?
https://www.ncix.com/detail/asus-rog-strix-z370-h-gaming-0f-143263.htm

I am concerned about my windows 10 license. My HP came with windows 7 and I upgraded to Windows 10 [which is probably OEM?]

Some articles on the Internet say that I have to connect it to my Hotmail account and reactivate it after motherboard change. Other articles say motherboard change is too big of a change for windows 10 OEM license. It has to be a retail windows 10.

I also read about ease to do backup "system transfer".
It's asking for 3 things: 1st image files of my system which I have, 2nd winpe CD/USB which I can create, and 3rd is INF file for my new hardware [which is the motherboard SSD CPU and memory].

Where can I get the INF file? Motherboard CD-ROM?
https://www.easeus.com/support/todo-backup/system-transfer.html

By the way I am not in a rush for upgrading and I can wait for Q1 2018 for Intel CPU 8th generation K as long as it's not significantly more expensive than the non-overclocked i7.

Thanks guys

jamie_s2 Oct 12, 2017 09:11 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like (1) | Top | Bottom

I have always been a Asus motherboard guy as well. Never had any issues with one been using them in all my builds. For ram I like Corsair as well . If u wait a bit longer more boards will become available. Any Asus rog board is solid

Bruce_R Oct 12, 2017 10:31 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like (1) | Top | Bottom

Quote: (GoofieNewfie @ Oct 07 2017, 07:05 PM)

So, 8700k for me. But what mobo? I can't decide. Seems too early to tell. I'm typically an Asus mobo guy. Every PC I've built (I'm 42) has been Asus but I'm reading about people having a lot of issues getting RMA's from them now and bad support? And what ram? Corsair still good? or go with something else?

I would stick with Asus motherboards.

You might take a look at G.Skill memory. I have found it to be quite reliable. Corsair memory is still very good.

StillTime Oct 13, 2017 04:42 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like (1) | Top | Bottom

hi guys,
forgive my ignorance, but does the Asus motherboard come with integrated graphic processor from Intel? like I said in my previous post I have a GTX 970 and I don't want to add it to my system until I make sure everything is running stable.

Also what's the difference between those 4 motherboards?
https://www.ncix.com/search/?q=asus+rog+strix+z370
I can only understand that some do not have Wi-Fi and one of them is for a small gaming computer[z370-I]. The rest of the difference is beyond my understanding!

Also can someone help me with my windows 10 Digital license question that I left in my previous message?

Thanks a lot guys.

GoofieNewfie Oct 13, 2017 07:49 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like (1) | Top | Bottom

Yeah I get frustrated as well when it comes to what internal hardware shares resources with certain slots. You go SLI only to find out you need to turn off onboard devices to do it. That's where I get confused now. Reading the notes on some, if you go with a M2 drive you can't use certain sata ports. That kind of stuff irritates me. Or one pcie slot is 16x but the other is 4. Like wtf? I'm not sure what board to get either. I don't need wireless. Who uses wireless on a desktop? Not a big overclocker. Currently have a P8Z68 Deluxe that has served me well.

jakeElwood Oct 14, 2017 12:03 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like (1) | Top | Bottom

Its the CPU that has a built in GPU, not the MoBo, so, you are all good there. Put the 970 in. You turn the iGPU off in the BIOS settings.

The size of the MoBo is in the "TX" name. mATX is smaller than ATX. Anything smaller than mATX is more for home theatre builds. eg: ITX variants

Any of those MoBo are good. For OCing as well. For OCing you want to look at the power phase. But its not exactly that simple either.

There is one mATX MoBo in your link. You just need to know if it has enough slots, but otherwise the differences are in other specs.

What do you specifically need?

Crazy good sound you need a high-end MoBo, otherwise the on-board is normal and good on all of them.

1 GPU the mATX is good also.

Those 4 are all good as i said, to want a better MoBo, you would have to want something very special or specific.

I havnt read reviews of z370 yet so i cant say which one to chose.

edit: there is no reason to only look at ASUS. Gigabyte, MSI, ASRock are all good. ASUS does seem to have the more aggressive fanbois though.

This message was modified by the poster at 10 14, 2017 12:19 AM

Tips: 5 Points tipped from 1 members

Call Queue
Now Serving
Closed
Avg. Response Time
Closed
Request Call Back
(Web Orders Only)

All Time Experts
1. Mr. Friendly™ (51387)
2. The Wizard (39824)
3. death_hawk™ (35144)
4. Not An Expert (26343)
5. Lance W (25246)

Featured Brands:
Shop by brands
Your Order Company Info Memberships Services Hotlinks
Customer Care
Order Status
About NCIX
Contact Us
Careers
Terms & Conditions
Branding & Logos
Privacy Policy
NCIX Rewards
Premier Partner Reseller
Affiliate Program
NCIX Gift Cards
Online Price Match
NCIX Newsletters
Facebook
YouTube
Twitter
Forums
International Sites: United States Canada
Copyright© 2015 - NCIXUS.com/NCIXUS Technology Inc. All rights reserved.