Welcome 
 Hot Deals 
 NCIX PC 
 Forums 
  CANADA |  USA
Hot Topics  |  Latest Postings  |  View Unreplied  |  Forum Bookmarks
Search
Hot Searches:

LATEST TOPICS |  FORUMS » GENERAL DISCUSSIONS » WHICH GPUS SUPPORT HARDWARE ACCELERATION...
Subject: Which GPUs support hardware acceleration in modern browsers?
Share this:  
Author Date Posted Tools
{--M--} Aug 31, 2017 10:34 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like (1) | Top | Bottom

I'm pretty much at wit's end trying to reduce CPU usage in any modern browser on my laptop. Yes, it's a pretty old laptop, running a C2D at 2.26GHz, 4GB RAM, and a Radeon HD 3650 GPU with Catalyst 13.9 drivers (newest available for this GPU).

Adobe Flash seemed to do hardware acceleration just fine, but I seemingly can't get any sort of hardware acceleration working with HTML5 videos (not just YouTube). CPU usage sits at around 60% with a 720p video playing, whether I have hardware acceleration enabled or not in the browser (tried both FireFox and Chrome, same result).

I'm guessing the HD 3650 is simply too old and doesn't support modern hardware acceleration techniques?

Is there some sort of a list somewhere that shows which GPUs are supported?

Topic URL: http://forums.ncix.com/forums/topic.php?id=2760479

Tip Posting | My Postings () | My Reviews () | View Source
Fire Fire Fire... Aug 31, 2017 01:21 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like (1) | Top | Bottom

Any newer gen GPU in the last 5 years support hardware acceleration.
IN most browsers there is settings you can make to select  hardware.
With your older system, the high usage will be very common. Do you have an SSD or HDD in system, as that may help.

Tip Posting | My Postings (28) | My Reviews (1) | View Source
{--M--} Aug 31, 2017 03:36 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like (1) | Top | Bottom

Quote: (Fire Fire Fire... @ Aug 31 2017, 01:21 PM)

Do you have an SSD or HDD in system, as that may help.

Yes, I put a 500GB SSD in it a couple years ago. Boot time is around 20 seconds from POST to logged in and ready to use, running Windows 7 x64.

Browsing speed is still pretty decent, and for now I'm still able to view 1080p60 YouTube videos with no lag (as long as I'm not trying to multitask), but I've just been noticing as websites get increasingly more complex that the CPU is working harder than ever before. This laptop never had great battery life to begin with, and the additional CPU load browsing modern websites has made it even worst.

Thankfully, I rarely use the laptop on battery.

Nothing to really complain about though, definitely getting more than my money's worth out of what is now a ~9 year old laptop (Asus F8Va). Was just curious as to whether or not there was any hope of getting some sort of hardware acceleration working.

computer_guru Aug 31, 2017 07:58 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like (1) | Top | Bottom

I have an i3-4170 3.7ghz and an RX 560 which is 4th Gen GCN made in Q2 2016 and supports all codecs up to H.265 .... and ... my cpu still runs at 60% roughly during video playback on browsers at 1080p. So I still believe it's geared towards the CPU and GPU's aren't gonna take 50% of the load.

{--M--} Sep 11, 2017 06:29 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

To follow-up on this, now that I'm back home at my usual desktop computer, I can confirm hardware acceleration DOES work in Firefox 55 with a GTX970 video card. Playing back a 1080p video the CPU (i7 4790k) is just idling along at 1% while the GPU hovers around 15% usage (according to Asus GPU Tweak).

I didn't have to do anything special, it just works by default.

So either the ATI HD 3650 in my laptop doesn't support that type of hardware acceleration, the drivers are too old, and/or it's incompatible.

I found a Greasemonkey script that forces YouTube to play videos at no more than 30fps on my laptop (1080p60 and 720p60 video peg the CPU near 100% and cause lag, 1080p30 and 720p30 play fine).

Call Queue
Now Serving
Closed
Avg. Response Time
Closed
Request Call Back
(Web Orders Only)

All Time Experts
1. Mr. Friendly™ (51387)
2. The Wizard (39824)
3. death_hawk™ (35144)
4. Not An Expert (26343)
5. Lance W (25246)

Featured Brands:
Shop by brands
Your Order Company Info Memberships Services Hotlinks
Customer Care
Order Status
About NCIX
Contact Us
Careers
Terms & Conditions
Branding & Logos
Privacy Policy
NCIX Rewards
Premier Partner Reseller
Affiliate Program
NCIX Gift Cards
Online Price Match
NCIX Newsletters
Facebook
YouTube
Twitter
Forums
International Sites: United States Canada
Copyright© 2015 - NCIXUS.com/NCIXUS Technology Inc. All rights reserved.