Welcome 
 Hot Deals 
 NCIX PC 
 Forums 
  CANADA |  USA
Hot Topics  |  Latest Postings  |  View Unreplied  |  Forum Bookmarks
Search
Hot Searches:

LATEST TOPICS |  FORUMS » GENERAL DISCUSSIONS » ANYONE HERE PLANNING ON A THREADRIPPER P...
Subject: anyone here planning on a Threadripper PC?
Share this:  
Author Date Posted Tools
Mr. Friendly™ Aug 09, 2017 04:05 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

if so, tell us the spec out you're planning!

I'd love one...but the cost of the motherboards are crazy high in comparison to Intel's coming X299 mobo's. sorta balances out Intel's higher CPU costs vs AMD's lower..

here's hoping that Intel's lower clock speeds are a handicap at the end of the day!

Topic URL: http://forums.ncix.com/forums/topic.php?id=2759762

Tip Posting | My Postings () | My Reviews () | View Source
Calypso Aug 09, 2017 04:26 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

I'm definitely entertaining the idea. A 1900x with a Gigabyte board. Its those 64 lanes of PCI-e that's doin it for me. Twice the money for a new platform as opposed to just Ryzen, but hey? You only live once. I told myself I'm not upgrading till early next year, sooo we'll see what happens.

mrfool Aug 09, 2017 05:33 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

If the rumor is true that it can outmine gpu in monero mining, then yes I am getting it

Calypso Aug 09, 2017 05:36 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

No cpu can beat a gpu mining. You would need more cores.

Mr. Friendly™ Aug 09, 2017 05:46 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

indeed, Cal...MrFool seems to have been a bit foolish...

RX Vega seems to be promising regarding mining.

let's hope the AIB's release mining focused models immediately so the regular release stock doesn't get sucked up by the mad men.

mrfool Aug 09, 2017 06:21 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/6iwjvb/dual_amd_epyc_7601_set_monero_mining_2p_world/

TheGreatGazoo™ Aug 09, 2017 09:24 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

I am looking really hard at a TR PC late this year or early next. Time to upgrade my Devil's Canyon which I have running at 4.8 Ghz.

I'm looking at the Asus ROG X399, two Samsung 960 PRO (in RAID 0 if possible), my 1080Ti that I just got and some good DDR memory. I don't need much storage as I have a Ryzen machine that is running Server 2016 Essentials. So I will probably just stick in a 1TB SSD to put games and such on. I'll probably reuse my AX850 PSU as it is running strong. I'm wanting a full size ATX case with glass panels so I am thinking either InWin 909 or the Enthoos case. Custom watercooling loop like I have now which is EK waterblock, Laing pump, 360 or 420mm rad and hardline tubing. I've gotten pretty decent at bending those tubes now and only need fittings at the components. :)

My main rig is on full display on top of my desk so it has to look as good as it performs.

Yoinkerman Aug 09, 2017 09:26 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

I jumped onto a ryzen 1700 right away so probably not unless one of my computers goes belly up

The concept is neat though, and hopefully the higher pcie lanes equates to some market gain

Entz Aug 10, 2017 11:13 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like (1) | Top | Bottom

Maybe next year, I really haven't felt the need to upgrade at all. My 3930k still isn't enough of a major bottleneck for me to want to spend a grand or more to replace it, plus I would need mATX and I honestly do very little on my main PC as is.

Coach_ Aug 10, 2017 11:42 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like (1) | Top | Bottom

I want ThreadRippper but my feeling is that their next gen of Ryzen TR will be the one to get. AMD needs our support and finally they deserve it.

Blacknight3 Aug 10, 2017 04:49 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

I'm with Entz. I want to but don't really see a need to do anything yet with my 3930K

nToxik Aug 11, 2017 09:47 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

2600K reporting in. Probably not at this time. Will wait for some maturity.

Jason_L193 Aug 12, 2017 01:43 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Practically too expensive for most pc builders, the range of budget for a PC in total for a lot of people is within 400 to 1500 dollars.

Plus in Canada you gotta apply a 13% tax to your total, and deal with currency exchange rates and stock issues.

CPU parts isn't as hyped up as the GPU parts though, so they will always be available for longer over time...
It's just that with GPU parts, miners can set up rigs where a single PC can have like 10-20 GPUs... Meaning the stocks can run out and stay low for long periods of time.

Also, Threadripper is directed at the high end enthusiast users, not for the average pc builders.

Ryzen 7 1800X is already the highest bar set for a AM4 build, and planning to do a 8 core X399 build is rather expensive just for the extra PCI-e lanes and memory modules...

Basically it comes down to use cases... If you are gaming you won't need a threadripper build, because no games up till now bothers to optimize for more than 4 cores, and software STILL are very much unoptimized for modern hardware (you can see cases where a game doesn't look great but perform much worse than a game that looks great and has little to no bottleneck).

A lot of these unoptimal bottlenecks are sometimes due to development laziness or conveniences, and sometimes biased software.

EDIT: You also don't need to upgrade much until 2018 because a lot of game titles are mostly indie titles, and they mostly seem like trash titles, at least the ones that's popping up on Steam (Take a look at that huge list of 'upcoming' release list on Steam and tell me if any one of them actually pushes hardware optimally and is not a rushed development to make money).

This message was modified by the poster at 08 12, 2017 01:46 AM

theBee2112 Aug 14, 2017 06:55 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

While Threadripper may not beat out a GPU on Monero mining, I was surprised at the performance I was getting out of various Xeons. Makes me VERY curious about Threadripper mining performance. Obviously it wouldn't be worth the electricity, but still interesting to know. EDIT: Just watched that video link to reddit, they're using a 32 core 64 thread Epyc CPU. If you want to pay 5-10K for a CPU to mine Monero... have fun. I expect threadripper to manage 1/4 of that.

Regardless, I was planning on a complete AMD build today, but I still don't see any TR4 motherboards or Vega 64's in stock. I thought the release was today for the Vega.

Buy:
Threadripper 1950x
Any motherboard. (No seriously, I'll just take whatever the first one in stock is)
2X Vega 64's

Already Owned:
1050 Watt Platinum Seasonic PSU
2x 4TB HDD
White inWin 303 Case
256GB Samsung 950 Pro
32GB DDR4 2133MHz

I'm iffy about that PSU being enough, especially once I pick up some waterblocks for everything and start to OC. Planning to use this as a VM beast. Mining, network storage, PLEX, Web/App hosting, OwnCloud/FTP. Eventually I'd like to put some project management software like JIRA and some other Atlassain stuff. Any input is appreciated!

This message was modified by the poster at 08 14, 2017 08:01 AM

Mr. Friendly™ Aug 14, 2017 07:10 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

the PSU should be adequate if you don't plan on overclocking.

if you are, you'd probably want to get a 1500w or better cause these things suck close to 1000w at load, stock.

theBee2112 Aug 14, 2017 07:55 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Yeah.. I thought about it a bit more and cheaped out a bit. Those vega 64 bundles with a 1700x and mobo were so appealing, I picked that up instead.

So instead of $2100 for only a threadripper cpu, mobo, and cooler; i got an 1700x, mobo, vega 64, AM4 ekwaterblock, bitfenix case, 600 watt psu, and 2m PETG hard tubing - for the same price. Much better value IMO. I doubt I would have actually needed 16 cores.

All because I'm too cheap to get a bigger PSU, and don't want to wait for a threadripper waterblock.

Call Queue
Now Serving
Avg. Response Time
Estimate: 33 mins
Request Call Back
(Web Orders Only)

All Time Experts
1. Mr. Friendly™ (51387)
2. The Wizard (39824)
3. death_hawk™ (35144)
4. Not An Expert (26343)
5. Lance W (25246)

Featured Brands:
Shop by brands
Your Order Company Info Memberships Services Hotlinks
Customer Care
Order Status
About NCIX
Contact Us
Careers
Terms & Conditions
Branding & Logos
Privacy Policy
NCIX Rewards
Premier Partner Reseller
Affiliate Program
NCIX Gift Cards
Online Price Match
NCIX Newsletters
Facebook
YouTube
Twitter
Forums
International Sites: United States Canada
Copyright© 2015 - NCIXUS.com/NCIXUS Technology Inc. All rights reserved.