Welcome 
 Hot Deals 
 NCIX PC 
 Forums 
  CANADA |  USA
Hot Topics  |  Latest Postings  |  View Unreplied  |  Forum Bookmarks
Search
Hot Searches:

LATEST TOPICS |  FORUMS » GENERAL DISCUSSIONS » NEW PHONE...S8? PIXEL?...
Subject: New phone...S8? Pixel?
Share this:  
Author Date Posted Tools
Stiles May 14, 2017 09:09 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

I have an old Samsung phone...don't even know what model it is. 5 years old but has never failed me.

Anyone have the new S8?

Been searching around and the S8 looks real nice, as does the Pixel.

I mainly use the phone for talk, text and media...I do not use any data at all except on wifi.

Topic URL: http://forums.ncix.com/forums/topic.php?id=2756661

Tip Posting | My Postings () | My Reviews () | View Source
Babaghan May 14, 2017 09:29 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

I have the S8+ and I'm thrilled with it. I'm told the fingerprint sensor is in a bad spot. Big whoop. I never use it and I haven't even registered any fingerprints. Iris scanner is lightning quick.

Stiles May 14, 2017 09:46 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Yeah, every review I have seen almost whines about the sensor placement...that and Bixby. Neither of those really interest me. Cant you use Google Assistant on the S8 anyway?

Babaghan May 14, 2017 11:43 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Yeah, Google Assistant comes with the S8. I use it mostly for driving directions. "Ok Google" and then "Drive to... new NCIX at 333 7 Ave SW, Calgary". Much better than the old Samsung S Voice.

Stiles May 14, 2017 12:19 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

It seem pretty fragile? That glass front and back looks suspect (but pretty damned slick). I guess a case is pretty mandatory unless one likes to live dangerously

justmoe1 May 14, 2017 01:38 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like (1) | Top | Bottom

way too much mark up for my taste. not enough bang for buck by a long shot. we already know at least one device will launch within a few months that is better and cheaper.

Babaghan May 14, 2017 01:50 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like (1) | Top | Bottom

Quote: (Stiles @ May 14 2017, 12:19 PM)

It seem pretty fragile?

It is. A portable device constructed with glass is nuts. I have the phone safely ensconced in a rugged case.

Moe - I agree. One shouldn't look to Apple or high-end Samsungs for good value.

Stiles May 14, 2017 05:25 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like (1) | Top | Bottom

Yeah Moe, I agree...I haven't upgraded in 5 years though. Maybe I will wait a few mos more...phone still works perfectly fine, ghetto as it is.

Mr. Friendly™ May 15, 2017 07:34 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

The Pixel is a shadow compared to the latest phones with the only major point being instant access to new OS releases.

word is a Pixel 2 is coming in the fall, so if you can hobble along, you might want to. or look at buying a cheep phone to use until the next Pixel refresh happens, might be worth it. you should be able to find the latest Moto E for about $250 or the Moto G for about $300.

nToxik May 15, 2017 07:50 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Starting to hear rumours of the OnePlus 5 so maybe a launch is in the next month or two.

Mr. Friendly™ May 15, 2017 08:25 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

and depending on your needs, the ZenFone 3 Zoom is quite attractive.

justmoe1 May 15, 2017 10:04 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like (1) | Top | Bottom

if the pixel 2 is anything like the tablet they launched a year ago it will be overpriced too. it is no longer the only phone getting almost instant os updates btw. google has signed several contracts mainly with a few former nexus manufacturers and nokia to speed up updates. currently LG is getting launch versions long before any google phone.

phones coming soon...

oneplus5
pixel 2
nokia 8
and anniversary iphone.
there is some other chinese brands as well but none come close to oneplus now.

computer_guru May 16, 2017 12:46 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like (1) | Top | Bottom

The new Samsung S8 and LG G6 are nice phones with really good screen-to-body ratio. Both great camera's. The S8 has a slightly better processor being the snapdragon 835 while the LG G6 missed out on the 835 (due to either early production or samsung getting first dibs on that chip) and went with the Snapdragon 821, of course the LG G6 should be priced a little lower. Both great choices for current gen phones. At the end of the day, go with the features you want.

I've said it before, I like stereo speakers so I picked up a device that had one. I also like the deep blacks and over saturation of Amoled displays so I went with that as well. The S8 is amoled while the LG G6 is IPS (better whites apparently, more accurate colors, and possibly brighter in the sun).

d2frm May 17, 2017 08:54 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

I have never ever seen Google not bungle a hardware launch.

Their record with the Pixel is so awful, any prospective customer is being told to wait for 4+ weeks - on a phone that is not a new recent release, but one that has been out on the market for at least a year. Even a crowdfunded project creator does better than Mountain View where it matters.

Stiles May 18, 2017 03:30 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Bleh, looks like I will need to buy a phone outright...Telus won't let me keep my grandfathered plan if I get a bundled phone. Understandable though. Phone has to be paid somehow.

Currently $32 gets me unlimited nationwide calling and text. No data, but I do not need it.

Those Oneplus phones look interesting...have read up on the 3T and the rumours/supposed leaked pics about the 5 upcoming soon.

Do they have much in the way of customer support? The phones seem really well reviewed (3, 3T). Curious as to how they would handle a possible return or even a phone call if I had an issue.

nToxik May 18, 2017 09:20 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like (1) | Top | Bottom

OnePlus' support isn't their strong suit. Sure you can open tickets and you might get help but there have been good news and horror stories regarding support since they launched. Keep in mind that there is no North American support and you need to send the phone back to the manufacturer (China) for RMA.

I have had my OnePlus One since a few months after it launched and it has been great. I still use it today. I haven't seen the need to upgrade until I see a significant tech advances.

They do have a very active forum, but pretty much the only support is from other customers as OnePlus rarely posts or replies to forum posts. OnePlus was seen as a developer phone when it launched. It was unlocked and you could unlock the bootloader/root the phone without breaking warranty so that you could install other ROMs if you liked. But generally the price of the hardware is quite a bit less than that of major competitors and they have come a long way in growing their brand and company against the much larger manufacturers like Samsung, LG, Motorola and even Apple in a way.

When the buy outright price of a Samsung or LG is pushing $900-$1000, the price of an unlocked OnePlus flagship at around $500-$600 is so much more appealing.

edit: typo

This message was modified by the poster at 05 18, 2017 09:21 AM

Mr. Friendly™ May 18, 2017 09:24 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

grab the Moto C Plus! well...actually, it's not avail till June, so that might not be an option for you.

grab the Moto G Plus.

Mr. Friendly™ May 18, 2017 09:36 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like (1) | Top | Bottom

I honestly don't think I'm going to ever buy a premium phone again...way to buggy.

My Galaxy S3 was nice, until it fell and cracked it's screen. was still usable, but got so slow after a few updates.

Then I got the LG G4, and buggy as all get out. button failures that would come and go. software gremlins where the phone would randomly want to restart, or fire up odd features/functions without me telling it to and then when the screen would go dark and not come back when I made a call and had to start pulling the battery to end a call when I got something like an auto-attendant, I did a warranty claim and was sent a G5. activated in December and it has the same button and software bugs, though not the screen going dark and not coming back.

I realize the crazy high resolutions on the screen are useless as when I surf, i can't read anything...so HD or FHD will be more than fine, QHD is silly.

I wonder how hard it would be to make a phone with a CPU just above mid-level, with good OLED FHD screen, a working FM radio, latest OS, etc would be to build and then crowdfund...

computer_guru May 18, 2017 11:45 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like (1) | Top | Bottom

Lenovo P2 has 1080p OLED, 4gb ram, 2.0ghz octocore Snapdragon 625, FM radio, nougat (latest o/s). $350-$400.

This message was modified by the poster at 05 18, 2017 11:47 AM

This message was modified by the poster at 05 18, 2017 11:47 AM

steve s May 21, 2017 11:20 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Hello
Can you deliever mobile in UK . i am working with online [url=http://prodissertation.co.uk/dissertation-writing-service]dissertation writing services[/url] in UK.
best regards
steve smith

Tip Posting | My Postings (5) | My Reviews (0) | View Source

Call Queue
Now Serving
Closed
Avg. Response Time
Closed
Request Call Back
(Web Orders Only)

All Time Experts
1. Mr. Friendly™ (51387)
2. The Wizard (39824)
3. death_hawk™ (35144)
4. Not An Expert (26343)
5. Lance W (25246)

Featured Brands:
Shop by brands
Your Order Company Info Memberships Services Hotlinks
Customer Care
Order Status
About NCIX
Contact Us
Careers
Terms & Conditions
Branding & Logos
Privacy Policy
NCIX Rewards
Premier Partner Reseller
Affiliate Program
NCIX Gift Cards
Online Price Match
NCIX Newsletters
Facebook
YouTube
Twitter
Forums
International Sites: United States Canada
Copyright© 2015 - NCIXUS.com/NCIXUS Technology Inc. All rights reserved.