Welcome 
 Hot Deals 
 NCIX PC 
 Forums 
  CANADA |  USA
Hot Topics  |  Latest Postings  |  View Unreplied  |  Forum Bookmarks
Search
Hot Searches:

LATEST TOPICS |  FORUMS » GENERAL DISCUSSIONS » UPGRADE LGA1366 CPU OR NEW COMP...
Subject: upgrade LGA1366 CPU or new comp
Share this:  
Author Date Posted Tools
i__i Mar 12, 2017 11:13 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Hi guys,

I have been holding about getting a new computer for quite a while. I resisted 2500k, 3770k, 6600k and now Ryzen etc...

I have been using a I7 920 at 3.8 since it first came out. Been upgrading the video card, ssd, more ram. I am currently using a gtx 770 and looking to get a 1070 or something similar soon. I have been looking at Ryzen and thinking about selling my current comp, keeping hard drives. I also read posts about upgrade my current CPU to something like 980x or Xeon W3680. The cost will be much lower if I upgrade the CPU only, keeping my ram, case, PS. I personally don't quite need USB 3. What do you guys think? Would W3680 be able to hold another 2 generations or so, like 3 to 4 years before a big upgrade comes?

P.S. I am also wanting to get a 27inch 144hz monitor with free-sync or G-sync

This message was modified by the poster at 03 12, 2017 11:19 PM

Topic URL: http://forums.ncix.com/forums/topic.php?id=2753917

Tip Posting | My Postings () | My Reviews () | View Source
computer_guru Mar 12, 2017 11:50 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Just pick up the GTX 1070 and see how your games are running than go from there. A newer gen cpu will help with frame rate simply because each core has much higher IPC nowadays over the original nehalem but cross that bridge when you get there.

i__i Mar 18, 2017 01:15 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

I bought the Gigabyte 1080 that is on big sale this weekend. WHat is the easier way to find out how much 920 is bottlenecking it? Do I turn up the gfx setting to see if FPS drops? I understand CPU intensive game like GTA 5 won't see much improvement though. Maybe it is time to change monitor and game at higher resolution with 144hz :)

This message was modified by the poster at 03 18, 2017 01:17 PM

Mr. Friendly™ Mar 18, 2017 01:58 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

look at the frame rates you're getting now and then look at the frame rates you get after you swap in the new card.

3.8ghz is a good speed, but isn't the fastest anymore...but Nehalem clock speeds weren't that high to begin with.

try running some benchmarks and compare them against the 6700K and 7700K and see where your rig is in comparison.

computer_guru Mar 18, 2017 04:57 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Download a program called MSI Afterburner , goto the settings and add CPU usage and GPU usage on-screen display and if your CPU is at 100% usage and GPU is only at like 60% usage than that's a CPU bottleneck.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeUSkaZ4_t0

Another way to tell is simply trying ultra settings and low settings and if you find no appreciable frame rate difference that's a severe CPU bottleneck.

Call Queue
Now Serving
Avg. Response Time
Estimate: 33 mins
Request Call Back
(Web Orders Only)

All Time Experts
1. Mr. Friendly™ (51387)
2. The Wizard (39824)
3. death_hawk™ (35144)
4. Not An Expert (26343)
5. Lance W (25246)

Featured Brands:
Shop by brands
Your Order Company Info Memberships Services Hotlinks
Customer Care
Order Status
About NCIX
Contact Us
Careers
Terms & Conditions
Branding & Logos
Privacy Policy
NCIX Rewards
Premier Partner Reseller
Affiliate Program
NCIX Gift Cards
Online Price Match
NCIX Newsletters
Facebook
YouTube
Twitter
Forums
International Sites: United States Canada
Copyright© 2015 - NCIXUS.com/NCIXUS Technology Inc. All rights reserved.