Welcome 
 Hot Deals 
 NCIX PC 
 Forums 
  CANADA |  USA
Hot Topics  |  Latest Postings  |  View Unreplied  |  Forum Bookmarks
Search
Hot Searches:

LATEST TOPICS |  FORUMS » GENERAL DISCUSSIONS » LET'S TALK ABOUT THE GTX 1080 TI...
Subject: let's talk about the GTX 1080 Ti
Share this:  
PREV   |   NEXT   1 2 3  
Author Date Posted Tools
Mr. Friendly™ Mar 09, 2017 11:15 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

the HWC is interesting. very good 1440p performance, but, unsurprisingly, does struggle with 4K.

however, as said, due to the crispness of such high resolution, especially with G-Sync/Freesync used, you may not need to or really benefit from having all the settings turn to ultra as the effects would likely be unnoticeable.

and overclocking...10% gains on stock Founders Edition blower cooling. YOWZA!!!

...puhlease Vega...knock our socks off...

Topic URL: http://forums.ncix.com/forums/topic.php?id=2753688

Tip Posting | My Postings () | My Reviews () | View Source
jakeElwood Mar 09, 2017 01:49 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like (1) | Top | Bottom

I would argue that really high resolution crap is still crap.

Look at a movie on TV. Or watching a Formula One race. A Formula One race is only 720p, but looks better than any racing game we have. 4k does nothing to make the game look more realistic, just sharper.

4k doesnt make textures or lighting better, just sharper.

You still need AA at 4k, so, you are slaughtering your fps for nothing.

I would choose the lower resolution but more 'realistic looking' option every time. I have a 1440p rez because of photography which 4k would benefit. Not gaming though.

Mr. Friendly™ Mar 09, 2017 02:26 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

hey Elwood,

what about that resolution down-converting gimmick I've read about?

4K down to 1440p or 1600p...good/bad idea?

jakeElwood Mar 09, 2017 04:58 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like (2) | Top | Bottom

Hey Friendly,

CRT = yes
LCD = No

Anything other than native res on fixed pixel like LCD always looks bad.

Only way for it to have a chance of looking good is if 1 pixel becomes 4 pixels. Know what i mean? Its still a perfect square pixel, no over lapping or else blur. Which means it is technically possible for 1920x1080 to look perfect, but still never does. Scalers never do anything perfectly for whatever reasons.

Edit: Do you mean downscaling video and then playing it? That is different.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/images/viewsonic_vp2780-4k/interpolation.jpg

Same monitor. Top is 4k native, Bottom is 2560x1440

If you dont mind an extra-ordinarily blurry image you can change resolution all you want.

This message was modified by the poster at 03 09, 2017 05:21 PM

shawn_m7 Mar 09, 2017 05:13 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like (1) | Top | Bottom

Lets talk...

I have been doing 4k since 980. I run a 4k Hdr 80 inch curved samsung... yes aa matters at this size. I sit 6 feet away.

I run sli

Blower style cards in in sli.

My 1080s were significantly quiter than my 980s
Watched a bunch of reviews today. Some day blower makes your ears bleed. Others say its silent...

Personal experience. My 1080s run 2.1 all day long never over 80 degrees at a moderate fan curve. ALL aftermarket cards with their duel pcie power and list of high end components do next to nothing.

You want a card that LOOKS cool go ahead buy aftermarket.

Ill be getting the same performance as i always have blowing heat out of my case.

Buying a pair of 1080ti ear bleeding founders editions tomorrow.

This message was modified by the poster at 03 09, 2017 05:16 PM

adz124 Mar 09, 2017 05:34 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

I'm extremely interested in the 1080ti but....... I know it'll be nigh impossible to obtain a FE/AIB within the first month of release. Pre-orders will likely be shipped in batches. Plus, it's highly probable NCIX won't be doing pre-orders this time around.

The temperatures on the FE editions are somewhat respectable so if people are impatient, it's a viable option. And since the 1080ti is beating the titan xp by 2-3 fps (on average) on most titles; I expect we'll see a ton of shortages.

This message was modified by the poster at 03 09, 2017 05:37 PM

Mr. Friendly™ Mar 09, 2017 05:40 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

I had a hard enough time 13 years ago to buy a Radeon 8xx for $350. I cannot imagine spending a grand on a video card.

but two of them?

shawn_m7 Mar 09, 2017 05:44 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like (1) | Top | Bottom

Ordered my 1080s day of launch for less than they are selling today or anyday weeks after i got them.

I recieved mine 4 days after launch.

Paitience has NOTHING to do with it. I'd wait for founders over aftermarket.

Ive run 5 generations of sli with big bad fancy aftermarket cards and will never do it again. Ive been running blowers since 980.

You want a cool looking card buy one. The marketing doesnt pull me in anymore.

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i333/boobooboo3/20170218_131301_zpsiw9fjpz1.jpg

This message was modified by the poster at 03 09, 2017 06:09 PM

nToxik Mar 09, 2017 06:22 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

I don't know why people like the Founders or stock versions of GPUs so much. The custom AIB versions are always better even if they blow heat into your case. Most cases have good airflow so it isn't an issue.

shawn_m7 Mar 09, 2017 06:42 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

i like both of my cards runnign at the same temperature. Every AIB card I had was swinging 12-20 degrees between cards.

I have had both my 1080's fully apart to do a lighting mod and was very impressed that every piece was aluminum. Thats just good engineering, a full aluminum body helps with heat. Sure I can see 80 degrees max in synthetics but in games I never see over 70 degrees with a quite experience. OC z 2075 mhz

AIB are always "better" look at a STRIX with its pile of features, it's massive heat sink... and the next to no fps gain.

AIB want one thing. to make you feel that the price you are paying is justified. If it looks like alien technology you are more likely to buy it.

I don't know why people think AIB is a massive , superior option...

If you or I woke up tomorrow and started to live life how would either of us know which card the other had?

10 years of using sli and I DO know why some people like blowers more.

This message was modified by the poster at 03 11, 2017 09:09 AM

Coach_ Mar 09, 2017 07:20 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

I used to run SLI, I too always wanted reference cards. All of the reasons I hear ^^^ him refer to I agree with.

rjb64 Mar 09, 2017 09:32 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

You should consider coming on over to the "Dark Side" and throwing some Waterblocks on those suckers....once you game in silence and see your Cards hit a high temp under load of 34c you'll never go back ;)

I've run SLi and Tri SLi since the GTX 280's....gave up on Air Cooling when I got to the 780Ti's......EK states the Titan XP FC Blocks are compatible with the FE Ti's......some bloody fun WC'ing goodness....Although I'm still only running 1440p. so SLi 1080 looks as though its still the sweet spot for this Res.....1080Ti SLi would be a big waste of $$$ unless I get a new 4K monitor........$$$

This message was modified by the poster at 03 09, 2017 09:38 PM

adz124 Mar 09, 2017 09:44 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like (1) | Top | Bottom

Yeah because slapping a water block on it is totally gonna make it silent....

The pump makes noise and the rad obviously requires fans... So much for spending upwards of $700 for a custom loop for slightly lower temps...

jakeElwood Mar 10, 2017 01:47 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like (2) | Top | Bottom

If we are spending money on a hobby type thing, comparable to tricking out a car. Then, doesnt really matter, go all out.

For people that think of their PC more like a nice A to B car, you want the best price/performance rig.

I want a 100hz strobing monitor. Until someone makes a proper Strobing monitor, I will stick with the decent 27" 2560x1440 IPS with low lag and match the g-card to it. Which would be a 980ti or 1070.

What we really need is a 4000:1CR, 4ms pixel, 4ms input lag, 85-120hz proper strobing Monitor. Otherwise all this sli 1080ti is wasted because of the fairly crappy monitors we have now.

The monitor i mentioned can be made, easily. Its just that they know we will buy crap 4k TN monitors. And before you say how great your monitor is: You havnt seen and gamed on a Mitsubishi 2070sb CRT.

adz124 and Greg know what im talking about.

This message was modified by the poster at 03 10, 2017 01:52 AM

shawn_m7 Mar 10, 2017 05:02 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Is watercooling worth it?

https://www.youtube.com/shared?ci=3_yQsUN0TiI

Im a fan of watercooling btw just sharing info.

This message was modified by the poster at 03 10, 2017 03:49 PM

Jack_L2 Mar 10, 2017 06:08 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Noctua fans are extremely quiet and powerful, whether for watercooling or air-cooling. I used them for my triple-radiators, they are amazing.

Yes the pump makes a whining noise, but not all pumps are equal, and some have variable voltage, so can decrease or increase the voltage (gaming vs. daily tasks).

They are great for OCing both the CPU and GPU, so you will never hear your video card scream in the middle of the game :P

I am interested in a 1080 or 1080ti with a waterblock.

Moe Stedley Mar 10, 2017 10:11 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Where are the cards?!?

DKS Mar 10, 2017 10:23 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Where are the cards? $999.

http://www.ncix.com/category/video-cards-geforce-gtx-1080-9f-108-2393.htm?gclid=CO3CwsnGzNICFUW1wAodIHgGMw

This message was modified by the poster at 03 10, 2017 10:24 AM

rjb64 Mar 10, 2017 01:13 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

^^^^ My PC isnt totally silent at all (obviously you have no experience with WC or you would have avoided blurting out this comment .....Even with 16 fas running at very low RPM there is NOWHERE near the racket of those Fans on the GPU'd ramping up.....not even close.

All of my previous Air Cooled GPU's sounded like Jet Engines....and the Temps...hahahahah
Idle 17c / Load 32c ........nuff said ....once you go wet...you'll never go back :)
btw the pump ???? Are you kidding me...have you ever heard one ? I dont think you have with another comment like that Anyone with any WC experience knows unless you have a Flow Meter visible, in many almost all cases you cant hear the pump running at all over even the most silent Case Fans.

This message was modified by the poster at 03 10, 2017 01:16 PM

rjb64 Mar 10, 2017 01:21 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

I dont think ADZ has any experience with a Liquid Cooled System at all....yes my Pump is the Vario design with RPM Control.....but even Leak Testing without the PC actually running sometimes I literally have to grasp the tubes or Reservoir just to see if the pump is running ;)

My 780's used to sould like a couple of jet engines "wwwwoooossshhhing" away in my case when gaming...pumping heat out the back at 78c...crazy.....very limited OC'ing as well....on a good note the Titan XP FC EK Blocks are compatible with the 1080Ti's ;)

adz124 Mar 10, 2017 01:31 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like (2) | Top | Bottom

Quote: (rjb64 j Mar 10 2017, 01:21 PM)

I dont think ADZ has any experience with a Liquid Cooled

1. Never make blind assumptions like this if you want to be taken seriously.

I have almost two decades of experience when it comes to water cooling (as well as some LN2). I was merely stating that water cooling is expensive for very little gains in the real world. If you're doing synthetic benchmarking; aka e-peen benching, then sure. I suppose it holds some validity in that regard. Just don't come to me, or any others and say a custom loop is "cost effective". Because it isn't...

This message was modified by the poster at 03 10, 2017 01:32 PM

shawn_m7 Mar 10, 2017 03:57 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Facts

go fact check this

water cooling looks cool

water cooling does lower temps but gives next to no performance gains on current hardware. My FE are OC s 2075 mhz.

Blowers USED to be jet engines, since the 980 ( ok ) then 1080 ( pretty damn quite ) its no longer a big deal.

with enough large radiators you can use lower rpms on the fans which CAN be silent.

Pumps are not as loud as they once were, but yes some have more whine than others.

It is never cost effective but those that build water cooled loops are not trying to be cost effective.

I don't use water cooling as I have a silverstone FT02 with 3 180 mm fans that I leave on the lowest setting and still pump a ton of air. The case is also 6 feet away and sound proofed.

water cooled, air cooled, who cares do what you want, if it performs and you are happy great.

This message was modified by the poster at 03 11, 2017 09:13 AM

Yoinkerman Mar 10, 2017 07:12 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

i'm really not impressed with the lack of context around game settings in reviews.

rjb64 Mar 10, 2017 07:44 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Hey ADZ ....cool your jets and take a big ole "chill pill" Mr LN2....re-read my post...Did I ever say it was "cost effective"...nope! I just pointed out that if you think its still noisy (vs an air cooled F14 90mm Fan ....2 if SLi...) and the pump is noisy then you my friend obviously havent been around a nice quiet WC Rig......as someone else pointed out...the Noctua Fans and Corsair High Static SP Fans (yes even 16 of them) running off of 4 Ch 50W / Ch Fan Controller with the speed turned right down to 900 RPM is "extremely quiet"........you would know this of course though....   :)

Personally I went liquid for a few reasons....none at all for epeen (but I do enjoy OC'ing and pushing my HW....personally I got sick of monkeying with custom fan profiles on my SLi and Tri Sli rigs only to see temps around 78c under load.....most of all its just ole fun

This message was modified by the poster at 03 10, 2017 07:50 PM

adz124 Mar 10, 2017 07:58 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Lol... This guy. I never said otherwise, mate.... I was speaking in general.

NotAFanBoy Mar 10, 2017 08:55 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like (2) | Top | Bottom

Quote: (Jack_L2 w Mar 10 2017, 06:08 AM)

so you will never hear your video card scream in the middle of the game :P

I don't hear anything with headphones on anyway. I think watercooling is overrated as hell personally. Noctua makes great products and it's all you really need. An NH D15 and an aftermarket triple fan GPU with a respectable fan curve is barely audible.

And let's face it. Most gamers use headsets anyway. Watercooing isn't as important nowadays now that the nm process is shrinking and gpu boost basically already maxes out possible oc headroom. Watercooling looks cool, and that's about it. Gratz on wasting your money on something to show off to your "friends".

This message was modified by the poster at 03 10, 2017 08:56 PM

rjb64 Mar 10, 2017 09:29 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like (1) | Top | Bottom

Although Water Cooling keeps Temps way down....its also about the "hobby enthusiast part of it my friend"....we do it...cause we can

Not sure if this pic will work...its an old pic...Deus Ex Human Revolution...everything maxed at 1440p...under full load!......Hey do car enthusiasts "need" to do what they do.....or any other hobbiest...of course not....I can tell you one thing...its "Highly addictive"

If this pic works its with a bit of a voltage push....Cores +155 Mhz and Memory +300 Mhz 780Ti's SLi....so yeah pretty old system...

[URL=http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c344/sextant2/DSC03271_zps40c93df9.jpg[/IMG][/URL]" target="_blank">http://s30.photobucket.com/user/sextant2/media/DSC03271_zps40c93df9.jpg.html][IMG]http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c344/sextant2/DSC03271_zps40c93df9.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Coach_ Mar 10, 2017 09:49 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like (1) | Top | Bottom

sorry that was not a like................................................................. ....... .. .. .. .........

shawn_m7 Mar 11, 2017 12:08 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

I can upgrade my cards yearly because of what I dont spend on water cooling.

2 min swap.

This message was modified by the poster at 03 11, 2017 12:09 AM

jakeElwood Mar 11, 2017 02:07 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Ive never understood why people want the inside of their case to look neat, but as i said up top, if its a hobby, who cares.

But I would be angry if these people are buying crap monitors which doesnt force manufacturers to make good monitors so that i can buy one.

Because unlike the inside of our cases, it does matter what our monitors look like.

So many people over the years talking about how cool their special ram is and having tri-sli on a TN panel. Makes me very angry to remember those days......

This message was modified by the poster at 03 11, 2017 02:08 AM

PREV   |   NEXT   1 2 3  

Call Queue
Now Serving
Avg. Response Time
Estimate: 33 mins
Request Call Back
(Web Orders Only)

All Time Experts
1. Mr. Friendly™ (51387)
2. The Wizard (39824)
3. death_hawk™ (35144)
4. Not An Expert (26343)
5. Lance W (25246)

Featured Brands:
Shop by brands
Your Order Company Info Memberships Services Hotlinks
Customer Care
Order Status
About NCIX
Contact Us
Careers
Terms & Conditions
Branding & Logos
Privacy Policy
NCIX Rewards
Premier Partner Reseller
Affiliate Program
NCIX Gift Cards
Online Price Match
NCIX Newsletters
Facebook
YouTube
Twitter
Forums
International Sites: United States Canada
Copyright© 2015 - NCIXUS.com/NCIXUS Technology Inc. All rights reserved.