Welcome 
 Hot Deals 
 NCIX PC 
 Forums 
  CANADA |  USA
Hot Topics  |  Latest Postings  |  View Unreplied  |  Forum Bookmarks
Search
Hot Searches:

LATEST TOPICS |  FORUMS » GENERAL DISCUSSIONS » NESTING COMPUTER DESKS - ANYONE KNOW OF ...
Subject: RE: Nesting Computer Desks - Anyone Know of Options?
Share this:  
PREV   |   NEXT   1 2 3  
Author Date Posted Tools
Mr. Friendly™ Feb 10, 2017 02:35 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

that's awesome, Gazoo.

I look forward to seeing the draft run!

Tip Posting | My Postings () | My Reviews () | View Source
TheGreatGazoo™ Feb 11, 2017 10:03 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Delete Image. Please use this feature thoughtfully.  Report this image 

Got a planer today. Not the one I wanted though - Lowe's wouldn't price match the Brazil River place because the website said it would ship on 1-2 months. They said since it isn't readily available that they wouldn't match it. It was a $200 difference on the Dewalt planer so I wasn't prepared to pay $800 for it. I got a Ridgid planer instead and it should do the trick just as well and it was $629. Spent the evening making the planing jointer jig and the tablesaw ripping jointer jig. Will try to get the cedar tomorrow afternoon and begin working on putting something together. Wifey likes the idea of having the table in the back yard for doing potting and other things on it.

Here's my garage turned workshop for the weekend. The Mustang has to be parked in the driveway.

TheGreatGazoo™ Feb 11, 2017 10:05 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

My small workbench. Garage computer - cuz everyone needs a garage computer! Actually comes in handy for looking up Youtube stuff while working and listening to music.

Entz Feb 12, 2017 10:18 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Yeah I have gotten pretty good with edgebanding but it is time consuming, not the greatest at getting the bevel down as I don't have a belt sander. At least with pure wood you can take router to it.

Nice pics, Never hurts to be able to poke the brains of the hive mind without having to change/cleanup/dedust etc ;)

Mr. Friendly™ Feb 13, 2017 11:03 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

so Gazoo, how has your weekend of fiddling gone?

TheGreatGazoo™ Feb 13, 2017 04:05 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

I've been having troubles with the planer I settled on. It produces a considerable amount of snipe that I cannot get out after much fiddling around with the input and output trays. I'm fairly certain that the motorized rollers are not level and I can't see anyway to adjust it. I'm getting a lot of chip outs no matter which way I run the boards but it's straight grain cedar so not too surprised. I'm going to return it to HD and I have ordered the Dewalt planer I wanted originally but it won't be here until mid-March. I'll check with my bro-in-law to see if he has a jointer in his shop that I can borrow one evening to straighten out some other lumber.

I had no idea how much chips a planer would make. I've emptied out shop vac a couple of times and I'm going to get a cyclone settler attachment. I'm not going to invest in a huge dust vacuum for what I am doing so I will make do with that.

I finally got the top done of the first desk though and I am about to start on the legs/sides tonight. Making it 36" high which would be too high for a desk but a good height for the potting table.

Entz - My wife gave me an ancient 1/4" shank Black and Decker router. It still works great. Pretty quiet and made in the good 'ol USA!

TheGreatGazoo™ Feb 13, 2017 06:35 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Also, woodworking is hard when you are an OCD perfectionist. I know it would be a lot easier with a giant shop, good (expensive) stock to start with and multi-thousand dollar tools. :lol:

I just spent the last two hours straightening out the legs which are 2 2X4's which are now 1.25"X3" and square. Going to dado top, bottom and two middle pieces. The middle pieces will have the drawer slides in them.

I'm starting to run out of steam. Been at non stop since about 1PM and time for dinner.

Mr. Friendly™ Feb 14, 2017 06:50 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Pictures, Gazoo, pictures!

TheGreatGazoo™ Feb 16, 2017 09:53 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

I'll have some pics of the first outer desk tomorrow (unfinished). The legs are all clamped up right now. I haven't done as much as I wanted the past couple of days as work has been really busy. I did find a good quality jointer that I am buying tomorrow or Saturday morning. I got some great news yesterday from Brazil River yesterday and my Dewalt planer will be here tomorrow not mid-March. :)

TheGreatGazoo™ Feb 18, 2017 08:51 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Got sidetracked for most of the day. I did get my jointer and Dewalt 735 planer yesterday which I am in love with both equally. I also got a Kreg miter gauge for my table saw. That thing is a work of art and function. I made a piece of wood with the new tools and it is essentially flat all around with 0.006" variance according to my micrometer. And no snipe on the few pieces I ran though them even taking off a 1/16" at a time. I will still run 1/32" at a time though. I was able to pick up some wood filler tonight when I returned the Ridgid planer to HD.

The pic is of the top and sides. The middle rails is where the drawer slides will go. I'm now going to plane the sides and fill in the joints so I can hopefully paint tomorrow. The top will be cleared with Sikkens Cetol Finish which is supposed to give a good 4 years between coats for outdoor wood. We'll see. lol

TheGreatGazoo™ Feb 18, 2017 08:54 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

My new jointer! It's small but works excellent. With my roller stands I can feed in 6'+ at a time easily. I can't see myself ever building any furniture that is longer than 8' anyway. I plan on making a dining room table later this year.

TheGreatGazoo™ Feb 18, 2017 09:08 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

$200 miter gauge on a $500 saw. Actually the saw now functions about as good as a $1200 saw. Getting a couple of more blades for it tomorrow - especially want a finer toothed one for less tear out on some pieces. Missed a good sale at KMS last month though on the Diablo blades. Might wait until next month and see if they come back.

Been reading about a line of tools called Festool. Ridiculously expensive but they are supposedly the best. I can't see myself paying $900 for a sander though.

dave3m Feb 19, 2017 11:15 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Gratz on finding some good equipment. That floor looks so clean!

Mr. Friendly™ Feb 19, 2017 01:24 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

looking good Gazoo! how stable are the legs having that type of bracing instead of the X design? I know due to the lack of depth, the X brace is probably a lot harder to do or perhaps unsightly looking.

is that still cedar?

TheGreatGazoo™ Feb 20, 2017 08:26 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

It is extremely strong and stable - I did dado cuts on the braces for the cross pieces so they are integral with the uprights. They fit into the slots pretty well, but I likely cut too far in at about half way and should be no more than a third apparently. I have it just glued right now, but I am putting in some pocket holes and screws for extra strength. Pocket hole screws is one of the strongest ways to attach two pieces of wood.

This is all cedar. I spoke to my bro-in-law yesterday and he has 1.25" MDF in his cabinet making shop that he said he can get for me. He'll even cut it up to the sizes I want. Painting in their paint booth is an option as well if we go that route in the future. MDF would probably be a better choice for the legs for indoor use and would give a really nice smooth finish when painted. It's just heavy, but that is probably a good thing for desk since you wouldn't want it to easily move around when in use.

I didn't get as much done this weekend as I wanted due to family things.

Tonight or tomorrow it is some sanding, the pocket holes and hopefully paint outdoor primer on the legs. It's wifey's birthday today so not sure how much I will get done.

Mr. Friendly™ Feb 20, 2017 08:33 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

very nice, Gazoo!

have to test with MDF...might be good for the upper desk, so it's more stable/seated/anchored, but perhaps not for the nesting portion, as it needs to be light enough to pull out easy and that weight might be hard on the rails/track's and such.

though, an idea for rolling/sliding the nesting portion could be to have little rollerballs installed along the bottom. those one's that can roll in any direction? could ask cost, but might be the solution if weight becomes an issue.

and with access to the paint booth, you could do all sorts of things!

Entz Feb 20, 2017 11:56 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Very nice TheGreatGazoo.

TheGreatGazoo™ Feb 22, 2017 08:31 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Got some paint on the legs. Not my finest paint job but this is going to be covered in potting soil a lot of the time. Next up is to buy the finish for the top which runs about $100 per gallon. Getting that probably Friday after work so I can start getting that done. Want to get into the woodwork on the nesting desk on Saturday though. Sunday is the Daytona 500 and I have my Fantasy League ready to go! I have a busy week at work next week and then next weekend I'm heading to Virginia for the better part of the week on business.

Mr. Friendly™ Feb 23, 2017 06:45 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

looking good, Gazoo.

equipment aside, how much has this cost you in supplies? I know it's cedar, so cheaper...but just curious.

TheGreatGazoo™ Feb 23, 2017 09:49 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

That desk used 1.5 2x6's and 3 2x4's so that is $54.10 total. It's retail price dimensional cedar. I'm going to talk to the bro-in-law to see if I can somehow get lumber through him at a lower contractor/shop cost.

TheGreatGazoo™ Feb 28, 2017 02:36 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Got a coat of the sealer on top of this. It came out more orange looking than I though it would but after a summer in the sun, it should fade out nicely.

Edit - started on the second nesting desk. Been a bit sick and having some problems with dust collection. Have to fix both those things first plus I am off to Virginia next week for meetings. Getting a tour of the Philip Morris manufacturing plant which should be pretty interesting.

This message was modified by the poster at 02 28, 2017 02:38 PM

Mr. Friendly™ Feb 28, 2017 02:53 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Gazoo...that is so awesome!

I look forward to seeing the nesting portion!

TheGreatGazoo™ Feb 28, 2017 03:03 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

I have the pieces rough cut and did the jointing on them last night. My new Dewalt 735 planer has an EXTREMELY powerful blower fan and my Dust Deputy/Shop-Vac setup cannot handle it. It kept shooting sawdust out the front as it backed up and then the hose on the back blew off sending sawdust as far as 15 feet from it. It was crazy! lol

I have an old garbage can that I am going to use but have to make a lid with a large filtered exhaust port and an angled intake port from the planer. Since the planer makes a lot of sawdust the larger pail will work better.

This desk is taking a long time but I'm buying, setting up and learning new equipment at the same time.

Mr. Friendly™ Mar 01, 2017 07:32 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

very cool, Gazoo.

next you have to get some metal working equipment so you can make sturdy, thin profile aluminum legs with a FANCY wood top

Mr. Friendly™ Mar 18, 2017 03:44 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

calling The Great Gazoo, come in please...come in please.

I'd like to talk about commissioning you to make me a desk.

if you're on HWC, you can PM me under the same Mr. Friendly handle.

many thanks.

TheGreatGazoo™ Mar 21, 2017 10:03 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

I'm here! Well, kinda under a rock lately. Been busy with stuff.

Got back from my Virginia trip last week. Toured the Philip Morris manufacturing plant and the scale of the place is impressive. They use 800,000 (20 trailerloads) pounds of tobacco a day to make 600,000,000 cigarettes per day. Those numbers are not mistakes! 600 million cigarette sticks a day! They have 40 acres of covered buildings. The whole process was fascinating. Despite the morality of this type of product, it was a once in a lifetime opportunity to see big time manufacturing up close. They don't offer public tours.

Anyway, in the shop I have been having more equipment problems. The sawdust collector I made for the planer has given me grief due to the shear force of air coming out of the tool. I finally got that fixed up to the point of it working, but hilariously the cover blew off my first attempt at it and it was snowing shavings in the garage. All I could do was laugh. Spent the next 45 minutes vacuuming up everything.

Almost finished the nested desk, but then the ancient Black & Decker router I had broke. I need that to round over the edges of the desk so they aren't so sharp. No fun resting your hands on a sharp edge like that. I'm getting a new Dewalt router delivered today that has both fixed and plunge bases. I was going to go with the better rated Bosche router but I wanted something lighter since most of my routing will be done by hand. If I need a router for a table, I'll get the Bosche.

So for this test run I have to round over the table top edge, stain it, attach to legs, attach roller wheels and put on the glides.

Mr. Friendly - I'll look you up on HWC and I have the same username over there.

TheGreatGazoo™ Mar 21, 2017 10:38 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

And further to my last long post, here is my McGyver'd Dr. Suess creation of planer/jointer table with a Dust Deputy Cyclone vacuum and a home made chip collector from a derelict Rubbermaid garbage can. It gets the job done. I also recently bought a large shop air filter that I have yet to install. It will help pull fine dust out of the air when the garage door is closed.

Entz Mar 21, 2017 11:17 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Nothing wrong with McGyver a solution lol. Looks good. Not entirely sure why Dewalt went that way seems backwards given the audience. I guess since it is connected directly to the motor if you have too much pull it is not good for it. So why not skip it all together? Sell a 350$ bundle accessory for it :P Heck They suggest just not turning your DC on as it is so strong you don't need it but that kinda breaks a central system.

TheGreatGazoo™ Mar 26, 2017 08:52 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Finished the prototype nesting desk/table. I learned a lot and spent a lot of time setting up, tuning and learning new equipment. Working with softwoods to make furniture is a pain in the l$$. Too easy to dent and muck up. However, I am glad I used cedar as this will be outside all the time to be used as a plant potting desk. It's at a perfect waist height since we will be standing in front of it all the time.

I made the nested desk top too tight in clearance so it rubs a bit when pushing in. Also I put the glides too far forward so they are exposed a bit more than I wanted. They were easier to install that way though. Also they are a bit wider than the width of the boards so they are visible when viewed from the side. Also they are permanently mounted to both desks and there is no way to separate the desks once installed. These were the only 12" side mounted glides I could find though - there might be better options out there.

Overall, this was a fun and very learning experience.

TheGreatGazoo™ Mar 26, 2017 08:53 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Folded in.

PREV   |   NEXT   1 2 3  

Call Queue
Now Serving
Avg. Response Time
Estimate: 33 mins
Request Call Back
(Web Orders Only)

All Time Experts
1. Mr. Friendly™ (51387)
2. The Wizard (39824)
3. death_hawk™ (35144)
4. Not An Expert (26343)
5. Lance W (25246)

Featured Brands:
Shop by brands
Your Order Company Info Memberships Services Hotlinks
Customer Care
Order Status
About NCIX
Contact Us
Careers
Terms & Conditions
Branding & Logos
Privacy Policy
NCIX Rewards
Premier Partner Reseller
Affiliate Program
NCIX Gift Cards
Online Price Match
NCIX Newsletters
Facebook
YouTube
Twitter
Forums
International Sites: United States Canada
Copyright© 2015 - NCIXUS.com/NCIXUS Technology Inc. All rights reserved.