Welcome 
 Hot Deals 
 NCIX PC 
 Forums 
  CANADA |  USA
Hot Topics  |  Latest Postings  |  View Unreplied  |  Forum Bookmarks
Search
Hot Searches:

LATEST TOPICS |  FORUMS » GENERAL DISCUSSIONS » STANDING DESK EXPERIENCE...
Subject: Standing Desk experience
Share this:  
Author Date Posted Tools
007quick Jan 11, 2017 03:41 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

I have realized that I am getting a lot of pain in my arm because my desk is the incorrect height for the height of chair I need in order to have good posture. It turns out that finding a quality desk that sits at the perfect height is more difficult than you'd imagine as there is very little customization. This has led me to the standing desk which can not only be set at the perfect height for sitting at but also opens options for standing on occasion.

The problem is that the most highly recommended standing desks (Jarvis and UpLift) are sold out of the US and would cost $250 American to ship plus who knows what kind of border fees.

I have looked at a couple Canadian companies that make standing desks but none of them have any sort of reputable reviews.

TLDR: Do you have experience with a standing desk? If you have, did you like it and was it good quality (workmanship as well as wobble at max height as I am tall)?

Topic URL: http://forums.ncix.com/forums/topic.php?id=2750427

Tip Posting | My Postings () | My Reviews () | View Source
Mr. Friendly™ Jan 11, 2017 03:51 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

good equipment is expensive.

take a look at the options from Startech.com, as they'll be readily available in Canada.

https://www.startech.com/display-mounting-ergonomic/sit-stand-workstations/

007quick Jan 11, 2017 04:06 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

I have seen their stuff but it is not what I'm after as I need to change the sitting height of my desk as well. The only option is an entirely new desk. I know it is expensive and am willing to shell out but buying over the border seems like an unnecessary shelling out :( In any case, there are certainly desks that meet my standards on paper available within Canada but I simply can't find any reviews for them.

I'd post links to the ones I'm thinking about but I'm not sure if it would cross the forum rules. The stores only sell standing desks and accessories but I don't want to cross the line. Hence why I'm just probing whether people do have experience.

Mr. Friendly™ Jan 11, 2017 04:15 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

AH!

there are way too many options now, 007.

very popular option are the Ergotron sit/stand...but they run you an easy $800.

EasyRider2b Jan 11, 2017 04:31 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Select all     

http://www.ncix.com/detail/rocelco-adr-32-wide-sit-b5-133265.htm?promoid=1651

$269

This message was modified by the poster at 01 11, 2017 04:31 PM

This message was modified by the poster at 01 11, 2017 04:33 PM

Greg * NCIX.com Jan 11, 2017 04:35 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Select all     

Quote: (EasyRider2b x Jan 11 2017, 04:31 PM)

I remember seeing one from NCIX for $250 on sale. That is the lowest price I have found.
Can't seem to find it anymore.

Found it:

Edit: You and you're sneaky edits while I'm looking for it.

This message was modified by the poster at 01 11, 2017 04:36 PM

Tip Posting | My Postings (18730) | My Reviews (4) | My Profile | View Source
Greg * NCIX.com Jan 11, 2017 04:42 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Quote: (007quick i Jan 11 2017, 04:06 PM)

The only option is an entirely new desk. I know it is expensive and am willing to shell out but buying over the border seems like an unnecessary shelling out

There is a large furniture chain in Canada that does have a motorized sit & stand desk for a decent price. That's all I'll say.  

This message was modified by the poster at 01 11, 2017 04:43 PM

Tip Posting | My Postings (18730) | My Reviews (4) | My Profile | View Source
007quick Jan 11, 2017 06:15 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Quote: (Greg * NCIX.com j Jan 11 2017, 04:42 PM)

There is a large furniture chain in Canada that does have a motorized sit & stand desk for a decent price. That's all I'll say.

:p
Thanks but I also have 3 32" monitors to put on the desk so I'm looking for a desk that is around 70" long. I know that the ones that come from the specialty stores are available in those lengths and they run around $1100 which is double the price of the one you hinted at. From what I've read though, the extra cash is generally worth it for a motorized desk. I'm just so reluctant to drop  the dough without reading unbiased reviews. :(

Also, I did look at the Ergetron desks but the biggest one they have is 60". My current desk is 60" and I currently have a piece of plywood cut that is extending the edges of the desk by about 12". Hence the 72" that I'm looking for.

This message was modified by the poster at 01 11, 2017 06:18 PM

justmoe1 Jan 11, 2017 10:52 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

there is no reliable reviews because there really are no specialized furniture reviewers. plenty of furniture stores in Canada that specialize in office equipment. personally i prefer the lever method which is similar device to that of a task chair. there are electronic button push desks but i don't trust it will last and it kinda looks lame/lazy.

i miss my last one at my last job. i spent half my day standing at it and it was a huge relief for my back. I agree most desks are way too low. i went with what was cheapest and i was very happy with the quality. Also, the perk to office furniture companies is they have showrooms where you can try everything. i would pull out your yellow pages and take a field trip.

p.s. this is one area where good equipment is not always expensive...some brands just charge too much...Apple of furniture.

This message was modified by the poster at 01 11, 2017 10:53 PM

Call Queue
Now Serving
Avg. Response Time
Estimate: 33 mins
Request Call Back
(Web Orders Only)

All Time Experts
1. Mr. Friendly™ (51387)
2. The Wizard (39824)
3. death_hawk™ (35144)
4. Not An Expert (26343)
5. Lance W (25246)

Featured Brands:
Shop by brands
Your Order Company Info Memberships Services Hotlinks
Customer Care
Order Status
About NCIX
Contact Us
Careers
Terms & Conditions
Branding & Logos
Privacy Policy
NCIX Rewards
Premier Partner Reseller
Affiliate Program
NCIX Gift Cards
Online Price Match
NCIX Newsletters
Facebook
YouTube
Twitter
Forums
International Sites: United States Canada
Copyright© 2015 - NCIXUS.com/NCIXUS Technology Inc. All rights reserved.