Welcome 
 Hot Deals 
 NCIX PC 
 Forums 
  CANADA |  USA
Hot Topics  |  Latest Postings  |  View Unreplied  |  Forum Bookmarks
Search
Hot Searches:

LATEST TOPICS |  FORUMS » GENERAL DISCUSSIONS » WHY DO PEOPLE EVEN BUY "GREEN" HDDS?...
Subject: RE: Why do people even buy "Green" HDDs?
Share this:  
PREV   |   NEXT   1 2 3  
Author Date Posted Tools
DaleF May 22, 2011 03:12 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Interestingly, I've heard people say the same thing about normal 7200RPM consumer drives compared to enterprise SATA drives as points 1 and 4. That being that normal consumer drives are too unreliable, and this unreliability makes them unfit for any sort of storage use.
I am currently working for a storage company, so we have a bit of storage around. I'm actually trying to remember the last hard drive failure we had, I think we had a pair of DoA drives in one filer, one SAS and the other SATA. Both are enterprise drives. The other couple racks of hard drives have been fine.

Tip Posting | My Postings () | My Reviews () | View Source
gromacs May 22, 2011 03:22 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

The way I see it, a 2tb green is about half the price of a 2tb black. In other words, I can get 2tb of green for the same price as 2tb of black. Therefore, green wins

(for home use, OS managed software raid)

dave3m May 22, 2011 06:52 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Just to throw in a slightly tangential question: any love for 2.5" drives? (consumer drives, no less!)

When I wanted quiet and low-power, I standardized on 2.5" a few years back. Seemed to make more sense, once the density and cost issues improved. Mind you, I haven't compared noise directly with newer model 3.5" drives myself.

Obviously, outright performance wasn't my main criterion.

YouRaPirate May 22, 2011 08:40 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

I buy green drives because the watts they're not consuming goes to my air conditioner.

Club-a-baby-seal! May 23, 2011 12:39 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

They are quiet. I use 6x120 rads for a single GTX 570 and 1090t just so I don't have hear the fan noise. I ****ing hate noise.

Belphegor May 23, 2011 05:53 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

2x2tb green ~ 2 tb black in price.

I can have 1 drive in my main PC and one in my home server on which I backup my data. I really don't care about the green part of the drive, I disabled wdidle since it is quite annoying. My movies won't go any faster, even if they're on blacks, so I don't see the point on spending more.

Nicholas_W May 23, 2011 07:39 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Quote: (Belphegor @ May 23 2011, 05:53 AM)

I can have 1 drive in my main PC and one in my home server on which I backup my data. I really don't care about the green part of the drive, I disabled wdidle since it is quite annoying. My movies won't go any faster, even if they're on blacks, so I don't see the point on spending more.

EXACTLY.

No one that thinks the greens "suck" has proven anything. Shown one link that says the greens are truly worse than the blacks. I don't need super high transfer. In fact i don't care if it's slower than the greens are right now.

death_hawk™ May 23, 2011 10:17 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

I can prove to myself that Greens "suck" compared to blacks through normal use.
Toss a bunch of heavy IO and Greens tend to choke.
Blacks don't do that.

That's not to say that Greens don't have their place. If you use them properly, they work fine.

©§ Mordith §® May 23, 2011 10:27 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

DH you just proved to yourself the purpose of the greens......if you need heavy IO then you would WANT the black anyway.....

/facepalm

©§ Mordith §® May 23, 2011 10:28 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

the greens have a specific purpose and they achieve that wonderfully and for cheap. people saying they suck cause they can't do things the blacks can do is pure ignorance

©§ Mordith §® May 23, 2011 10:29 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

[damnit why doesn't my honda accord perform like a F1 race car???? must mean the accords suck]

©§ Mordith §® May 23, 2011 10:31 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

p.s. IMO the greens perform WAY better than the actual intended use and price of them.

©§ Mordith §® May 23, 2011 10:34 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

let lighten the atmosphere....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cv5nBOqUR3Q

Curtis_R May 23, 2011 11:29 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

okay green vs black ..lol why no blue?

my experience with green is low but so far ive gotten 12 1TB and up and only used one for a boot drive since it was for a media center speed really wasnt a factor nad so far only one has failed in over a year .. guess what it was the boot drive.. funny i found .... the black oh my god failures out my arse out of 25 wd blacks....1 terrabyte and up 14 have failed so far within the same 1 year time frame ..8 blacks actually failed within a week .. 4 failed right out of the box and other 2 just started which honestly dont give me much hope for the rest ... now these drives were bought from all over NCIX, *****,ripoffbuy,furtureistic place and that eggy type place buy anyway this is my experience ... oh yea i got 4 blue drives and one is an IDE and still trucking strong from 2008 in a old P4 :)the only thing that any of the failed drived have in common is they were boot drives either alone or as a raid

Kramy May 23, 2011 01:10 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Quote: (Curtis_R @ May 23 2011, 11:29 AM)

funny i found .... the black oh my god failures out my arse out of 25 wd blacks....1 terrabyte and up 14 have failed so far within the same 1 year time frame ..8 blacks actually failed within a week .. 4 failed right out of the box and other 2 just started which honestly dont give me much hope for the rest

There's got to be another factor here. Your experience is extremely improbable, which means something may be killing your drives.

Are your Blacks in different systems than the Greens? Have you examined the PSUs being used to power them? What orientation are they in? Blacks dislike vibrations - are all yours mounted on rubber grommets? Did you track exactly where the failing ones are coming from? Did you pickup any of them (on foot) ruling out shipping damage? If so, did you track which ones? In what province or state are you located?

Lots of questions.Answers would be appreciated.

hung_h May 23, 2011 01:12 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

greens are good for the environment. everytime you buy one, a tree is saved.

michael_y May 23, 2011 01:17 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

LOL all my HD are fine no issue. In fact I sitll have that 500GB HD I bought 5+ years ago still running where I backup my movies on.

For most people including casual gaming a few secs load up doesn't matter. All my HD I used have no issue at all (expect a 120GB WD that I got ages ago). I think it depends if you get a bad one or how you handle the HD itself.

Some people just want to build a budget computer that works.

hung_h May 23, 2011 01:19 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

my computer was from a big box, I dont see too many problems with my HDD and its not really slow. I bet its a 5400rpm too.

NaX ©2008 May 23, 2011 02:03 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Quote: (Lance W @ May 22 2011, 10:38 AM)

If you can't differentiate the noise level between a Black and a Green it doesn't mean your case is well insulated. It means you have other components drowning them out and/or your noise tolerance is high

not really
i have a 2tb WD black 64MB cache and the stupid thing is loud like an old school drive (and there are others that have stated that these particular drives are significantly louder than other drives)

i said it before, the damn engineers must of been on a perpetual 4:20 while designing this drive

death_hawk™ May 23, 2011 02:08 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Quote: (©§ Mordith §® @ May 23 2011, 10:27 AM)

DH you just proved to yourself the purpose of the greens......if you need heavy IO then you would WANT the black anyway.....

Read the post directly above mine.
He asked for "proof" that greens suck.
While I can't show paper proof, I can prove to myself that they do.

Then again... "suck" is a relative term.
As someone mentioned, a Honda sucks compared to an F1.
Anyone would rather have an F1. But that's not to say the Honda isn't functional for what it's built for. Just don't try to race it. At least not without ricering it out. But that just increases the suck level

Hyperlight May 23, 2011 02:43 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Quote: (NaX ©2008 @ May 23 2011, 02:03 PM)

not really
i have a 2tb WD black 64MB cache and the stupid thing is loud like an old school drive (and there are others that have stated that these particular drives are significantly louder than other drives)

And in comparison to the fans in my SC846 its whisper quiet. All 8 of em.

I don't know why people are buying these for noise savings. Is it so hard to put your storage on a server in another room / basement / garage? With powerline you don't even need to run cables. Just toss it where nose isn't a concern.

Also is it just me or is the idea of putting storage in a workstation a plain ludicrous idea? A single virus can take you out. Not to mention you have to spend more $ on actually making it quiet.

Now for the price concerns. Are people NOT backing up their data or something? Putting it on green and NOT backing it up is the ONLY way I can see of getting cost savings.

Nexitus May 23, 2011 02:57 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

A lot of consumers don't back-up their data.....

NaX ©2008 May 23, 2011 02:59 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Quote: (Hyperlight @ May 23 2011, 02:43 PM)

And in comparison to the fans in my SC846 its whisper quiet. All 8 of em

and in comparison, all of my other drives
samsung 2TB
wd blacks (2x500gb and 2x640gb)

are extremely quiet

just the damn wd black 2tb 64MB cache drives are stupidly loud

dave3m May 23, 2011 03:04 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Quote: (Hyperlight @ May 23 2011, 02:43 PM)

Is it so hard to put your storage on a server in another room / basement / garage?

It rather is if you don't have such a place.

Kramy May 23, 2011 03:16 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Quote: (NaX ©2008 @ May 23 2011, 02:59 PM)

just the damn wd black 2tb 64MB cache drives are stupidly loud

WD2002FAEX or WD2001FASS?

The FAEX is louder.

WD Blacks must be mounted on rubber grommets or suspension mounted. They have very aggressive seeking. That's why they average 1-2ms faster seeks than other 7200RPM drives, and that's why they're so loud.If they touch metal, the vibrations make a hell of a racket.

Quote: (NaX ©2008 @ May 23 2011, 02:59 PM)

wd blacks (2x500gb and 2x640gb)

I've got some 640GB Blacks. They really are quiet!

Tommy_L May 23, 2011 03:42 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

So what about the WD Blue?
Are they any better in terms of failure rates,power consumption, etc..

Hyperlight May 23, 2011 03:48 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

The problem with blues is that they are so rare. I havn't seen a 2TB blue yet so I cant make any judgement on em.

NaX ©2008 May 23, 2011 09:43 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Quote: (Kramy @ May 23 2011, 03:16 PM)

I've got some 640GB Blacks. They really are quiet!

exactly - i stated these drives were quiet (great drives)
but it was the 2tb WD black that is noisy as hell (damn ^%$^&%$& engineers)

Florentino_D Jul 07, 2017 11:57 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Sometimes people by Green drives cuz they are cheaper and don't need the higher performance, or in my case, I was tricked into getting a drive that actually had green tech in it ... RE4-GP got seven of them to raid 5 finally have a save data solution with some redundancy except the RE4-GP has green tech in it that causes it to fall out of raid!!! Kinda ironic since it is supposed to be a Raid Enterprise 4 Drive!!

I tried to work with Western Digital but they were no help over and over again. They don't even want to honor their warranty. Truly frustrating.

Not sure what I am going to do as I don't have money to buy new drives. I spent all the money on the raid controllers and drives. Ohh yes I did say raid controllers because WD assured me with the drives testing as fine it was the raid controller so I bought another one. But it was the drives!

Doug_the_Slug Jul 07, 2017 01:57 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

New Thread Necro RECORD!

OVER 6 YEARS!!!

Protip: make a new thread, and if there is still a direct link to such an old thread, just make a link.

PREV   |   NEXT   1 2 3  

Call Queue
Now Serving
Closed
Avg. Response Time
Closed
Request Call Back
(Web Orders Only)

All Time Experts
1. Mr. Friendly™ (51387)
2. The Wizard (39824)
3. death_hawk™ (35144)
4. Not An Expert (26343)
5. Lance W (25246)

Featured Brands:
Shop by brands
Your Order Company Info Memberships Services Hotlinks
Customer Care
Order Status
About NCIX
Contact Us
Careers
Terms & Conditions
Branding & Logos
Privacy Policy
NCIX Rewards
Premier Partner Reseller
Affiliate Program
NCIX Gift Cards
Online Price Match
NCIX Newsletters
Facebook
YouTube
Twitter
Forums
International Sites: United States Canada
Copyright© 2015 - NCIXUS.com/NCIXUS Technology Inc. All rights reserved.