Welcome 
 Hot Deals 
 NCIX PC 
 Forums 
  CANADA |  USA
Hot Topics  |  Latest Postings  |  View Unreplied  |  Forum Bookmarks
Search
Hot Searches:

LATEST TOPICS |  FORUMS » NETWORKING » WORTH IT WITH MY CURRENT EQUIPMENT? WILL...
ASUS PCE-AC68 Dual Band 802.11AC Wireless AC-1900 PCI-E Adapter
ASUS PCE-AC68 Dual Band 802.11AC Wireless AC-1900 PCI-E Adapter - 91046_l.jpg
Actual product may not be exactly as shown.
ASUS
Reg. Price: $104.99  USD
On-Hand Availability:
In Stock

This item is in stock and will ship as soon as possible. Usually ships in 3-5 business days.
Avg. Rating:
Share this:
Price Match
More Product Detail
E-Mail to a friend
More from ASUS
More Network Adapters from ASUS
Similar products
Print this item
Notify me

SKU:  
   Shipping Weight:   1.2 lbs
   Part #: PCE-AC68
Subject: Worth it with my current equipment? Will it improve my rssi?
Share this:  
Author Date Posted Tools
coachmcguirk May 15, 2017 10:05 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

I'm currently using a TP-LINK TL-WDN4800 along with telus's new dual band router + range extender. At this present moment I'm unable to attain full bars. My rssi is -57 on average (I feel this is contributing to significant packet loss whilst gaming).

I have to stress that the router and extender can't be moved because my interior layout. So for convenience, I'm looking into this solution. Will it make a difference?

Topic URL: http://forums.ncix.com/forums/topic.php?id=2756737

Tip Posting | My Postings () | My Reviews () | View Source
Baconator May 16, 2017 09:03 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like (2) | Top | Bottom

Select all     

It'll probably work better but my advice would be to buy a powerline networking kit for half the price and use that instead. Much better stability.

computer_guru May 16, 2017 12:50 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like (2) | Top | Bottom

Yeah, a powerline kit should really improve your signal and ping over wi-fi. I bought a kit a while back ... unfortunately bit the dust after 6 months use but while it worked it was great. Maybe a fluctation here and there if I was running other stuff on the same electrical grid such as a space heater. Overall much better than wi-fi. I believe you could also try high gain antennae ... but with powerline being inexpensive, just go with that!

Greg * NCIX.com May 16, 2017 01:50 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like (2) | Top | Bottom

I have to agree on the Powerline kit. I get a horrendous WiFi signal in my office, so I use an AV1200 powerline kit to connect my main PC to my network. The newest kits use both the neutral and ground lines for added stability and speed.

http://www.ncix.com/category/powerline-ethernet-d8-1211.htm

Tip Posting | My Postings (18730) | My Reviews (4) | My Profile | View Source
coachmcguirk May 17, 2017 02:22 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like (2) | Top | Bottom

Thanks for the recommendations guys!

I have one question though: the townhouse that I live in is pretty old (was built in the 70's from what I gather). In saying that - I'm concerned about the quality of the line that's running through my place. Would this cause problems in stability/speed? I'm I overthinking this?

Yoinkerman May 17, 2017 07:54 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like (1) | Top | Bottom

You're definitely over thinking this

djbrad May 17, 2017 08:27 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like (1) | Top | Bottom

My experience :

House built in 1972, got 80% aluminum wires.

With a TRENDnet TPL-407E2K kit, transfer speed were between 1 to 5 mb/s, very variable, and was ok for streaming SD content, but not enough for most HD files.

However, new kits may get better speed.

Brad

Greg * NCIX.com May 17, 2017 02:27 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like (1) | Top | Bottom

Quote: (djbrad @ May 17 2017, 08:27 AM)

House built in 1972, got 80% aluminum wires.

Aluminum wires, all bets are off with Powerline signal reliability.

Older houses with plaster/wire mesh walls will do a fantastic job of blocking WiFi signals though. Wood panelling or drywall should let WiFi signals pass fairly easily.

My place is a townhouse, built in 1979, all copper wires as far as I've seen. However my office shares a breaker with the doorbell, which I think is causing a fair amount of interference for powerline (which is why I went with an AV2 kit with MIMO). I get about 15Mbps of bandwidth on my main machine, down from 60Mbps at the source. Still better than the 1-5Mbps I was getting via WiFi.

TheGreatGazoo™ May 17, 2017 02:50 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like (1) | Top | Bottom

I have a house built in 2006. When I moved into it 4 years ago I tried to reuse an older 300mbp Trendnet powerline kit to stream from my media server to the media player. It didn't work well and constantly dropped the signal - might have to do with "safety protection" devices built into my electrical panel. Luckily my house was wired with CAT 5E to all the phone jacks in the house (pretty much every room in the house!). So I just changed my obsolete phone ports to Ethernet ports and ran all the wires into a switch. Presto, full-home wired Gigabit. I totally lucked out on that one.

Greg * NCIX.com May 17, 2017 02:59 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like (1) | Top | Bottom

Quote: (TheGreatGazoo™ @ May 17 2017, 02:50 PM)

might have to do with "safety protection" devices built into my electrical panel.

Yup. GFI breakers will kill powerline signal dead. Pretty much no transmission across the breaker barrier.

Quote: (TheGreatGazoo™ @ May 17 2017, 02:50 PM)

Luckily my house was wired with CAT 5E to all the phone jacks in the house (pretty much every room in the house!). So I just changed my obsolete phone ports to Ethernet ports and ran all the wires into a switch. Presto, full-home wired Gigabit. I totally lucked out on that one.

Nice. There's a cutout in my office wall with some sort of phone line connection point, but I don't know if I could use it to fish network cables through the walls. One of these days I'm gonna find my endoscope webcam in storage and take a good look in the walls to see if I can run some useful cables through them (I have phone lines terminating in nearly every room, but it's old CAT3 cable).

NCIX Forum Messages

Please note that NCIX.com Forums is not a sales or product support board. For sales or specific product related questions, please send message to receive the fastest response.

Messages about ASUS PCE-AC68 Dual Band 802.11AC Wireless AC-1900 PCI-E Adapter

Worth it with my current equipment? Will it impro (coachmcguirk- May 17, 17, 9 Replies) Read this message
Compatability with AC66U (Jason_D- Oct 11, 13, 2 Replies) Read this message
ETA for PCE-AC68 (Pranil_R- Oct 09, 13, 3 Replies) Read this message

Post a New Message  |    All Messages       Browse NCIX Forums

Forum messages are not reviewed and may not contain accurate information about a product. Message contents are opinions from customers based on their own experience with a product. We do not recommend you make puchasing decisions based on Forum messages.

Call Queue
Now Serving
Closed
Avg. Response Time
Closed
Request Call Back
(Web Orders Only)

All Time Experts
1. Mr. Friendly™ (51387)
2. The Wizard (39824)
3. death_hawk™ (35144)
4. Not An Expert (26343)
5. Lance W (25246)

Featured Brands:
Shop by brands
Your Order Company Info Memberships Services Hotlinks
Customer Care
Order Status
About NCIX
Contact Us
Careers
Terms & Conditions
Branding & Logos
Privacy Policy
NCIX Rewards
Premier Partner Reseller
Affiliate Program
NCIX Gift Cards
Online Price Match
NCIX Newsletters
Facebook
YouTube
Twitter
Forums
International Sites: United States Canada
Copyright© 2015 - NCIXUS.com/NCIXUS Technology Inc. All rights reserved.